Am I pullied?

need4snake

Banned
Well I bought what I thought was a stock car a few weeks ago. But I was reading the other day that the stock pulley only makes 8-9 psi. Driving this morning I realized I'm pegging the boost gauge as you can see in the picture below. The density altitude = 848 feet at time of reading.

The pulley cage is installed currently on the car, but could it still have a lower pulley or something spinning it faster? Is the stock gauge accurate?

boost.png

Last edited:

need4snake

Banned
Maybe opening the hood and looking could help...?:shrug:

The cage is installed. What am I looking for? Should I pull the cage measure the blower pulley? I read that the after market blower pulley and belt combo doesn't allow you to reinstall the cage for some reason. I've also read there are lower pulley mods that will allow you to keep the cage installed I think.

Let me ask this question... what does a stock terminator boost gauge read at sea level typically?

Last edited:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
It takes 60 seconds to pull off the pulley cover. Thats going to be your best bet

need4snake

Banned
Ok, I'll pull it off and measure it. The stock pulley is a 3.34 right?

I also just noticed that the belt is a motorcraft belt, smaller pulley would not work with anything from ford I suspect.

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
When I bought my car it had a 2.8 upper on it, stock motorcraft belt and the pulley guard on it too.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
you wont be able to tell without looking at the actual pullies themselves. just because you are hitting 10psi on the stock gauge does not mean you are pullied. this could be caused by the cooler temps outside. the winter/cold months are always good for an extra pound or so of boost.

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
thats def a stock upper.

not sure on the lower. try to get a better pic on the lower, if you can please. although it does look to be stock as well, from here. cant tell 100% for sure tho

edit: i see that you live in florida, and im not sure if the temps have gotten cool enough there yet, for you to put off that much extra boost tho? do you happen to know about what the temps were outside when you were pegging the gauge like that? maybe some other florida owners can chime in on if they have been seeing more boost, due to cooler temps.

Last edited:

need4snake

Banned
thats def a stock upper.

not sure on the lower. try to get a better pic on the lower, if you can please. although it does look to be stock as well, from here. cant tell 100% for sure tho

edit: i see that you live in florida, and im not sure if the temps have gotten cool enough there yet, for you to put off that much extra boost tho? do you happen to know about what the temps were outside when you were pegging the gauge like that? maybe some other florida owners can chime in on if they have been seeing more boost, due to cooler temps.

Density altitude was 848 feet at the time of the reading. Temperature was 72 degrees, humidity is very low this morning also.

3Stang

YMR# 9631
Established Member
I live in Orlando, and on one the days that was recent where it was in the 50s my boost gauge went from a little under 10 to about 10. I know that I am bone stock. Maybe yours has the same thing going on?:shrug:

JMD0346

Established Member
I asked about the exhaust in my other post because...

Going to a free flowing exhaust will usually lower boost.

So a more chocked up exhaust should raise boost pressure.

If you have the factory cats they could be clogged or melted. Which was a common problem on these cars. Mine included.

When I picked mine up brand new it didnt have ANY boost. The melted cats had caused some Vac hoses to blow off. I took it straight home and installed my Bassani catted X. The stock cat casings where discolored from the heat build up.

May want to check yours.

Users who are viewing this thread