Am I missing something? Belt size is 79.7?

arbs

Established Member
So am I missing something? Today I replaced my upper with a BF 2.93. Along with that I also installed a 90mm ford idler pulley. When I got the 2.93 I also got a gates 74.5" belt. When I installed everything I tried putting my new belt on but it was too short. So I reinstalled my old belt. It fit perfect. I checked for any part numbers on the belt and found out it was a gates belt too but the the last 3 digits if the part number were 797 which indicated that its 79.7 inches. Now why would I have that if stock is supposed to be 75.1"? I don't get it.. I've been driving around and haven't had any problems with it. Nothing at all. I've even taken the cobra out on some stang cruises and its never given me problems. Now I'm kinda suspecting it has a lower. Idk. I hope not because I've been driving the cobra around jus thinking it's stock. What do you guys think? Does any one here have only a lower? Btw what does the stock lower look like anyway?

perry2k12

Established Member
The stock lower has a 3 legged "cage". The cage is silver and the pulley is black. Take a picture of the lower if you can and post it. Also some guys do run a lower only to increase boost without any belt slip on the upper.

arbs

Established Member
Damn it. I think I do have a lower pulley on here. I've been driving it around with just a tune for the intake and exhaust. I didn't even know I had it when I bought the car. I'll post a pic up in a bit. But I checked the diameter of the lower pulley and its a little over 9". Wth should I do now? What are the next steps I should take? Sh!t

arbs

Established Member
Damn idk I'm having a hard time loading them.. Sorry but I know for sure that I have a lower now. I just don't know if its a LFP or Metco kit. If I wanted to change it back to stock size, should I just get a ring or replace the whole thing with a stock pulley and cage? What's better. I don't even know what kind of kit I have on the car. Any advise you guys can give me? Of what I should do and where to start? Thanks guys.

It's stupid because the whole time I thought the car was stock.

arbs

Established Member
Ohh also, I measured the lower and it's a little over 9". I also measured the alternator pulley and its a little under 3". So it's stock right? So Ive been driving with a 6# lower with the stock alternator pulley? That's crazy. I'm surprised the engine and alternator aren't dead yet.

perry2k12

Established Member
You need to get up under the car and determine if its lfp or metco, then you can just order a stock size ring from them, plus a new belt.

arbs

Established Member
Okay so I got under there today and took the ring off hoping to find a brand but there's nothing there. The plate that comes with the kit and the hub also don't have a brand stamped on them. Aren't LFP ad Metco the only brands that make these? If some can I just get a stock size Metco and assume it'll fit? This sucks cuz I have a mustang cruise to attend next Sunday. So hopefully I can get all this stuff done by then.

Ohh I double checked the pulley size and it was like 9 1/4".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread