Am I getting scammed?

OhOneSnake

Let it melt......
Established Member
I'm selling a vehicle on autotrader, and I get this email from a "buyer" after replying to his email with details on the car. Here is the lineage of the emails.

His 1st:

Comments: Compliment of the day.l have a
customer who wants to purchase your car
Please, let me know your asking price,
Present conditiomn and location.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Regars

My reply:

Price: $16,800 non-negotiable. Like car-max, this is my no-hassle price.
Present Condition: Mechanically sound with no issues. Minor body flaws, all shown in the pictures on autotrader

His reply:

Thank you for your response. I have forwarded the features of your
vehicle in autotrader to my client for evaluation and due to time
constraint on the fact that we are running short of time , i am
delighted to tell you that my client has commended your vehicle and he
has instructed me to carry on with this transaction, he also instructed me
to inform you that payment will get to you in a cashier check of $24900 which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my
client.
Due to company policy this check has to be made out in this amount to
you because company policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier
cheque. So you are required to deduct the cost of your vehicle $16800
when payment gets to you and refund balance $8100 to the shipper for
him to be able to offset shipping & tax charges, and other cosmetic repair
costs. After payment has reached you and balance sent to shipper, the
shipper's agent will come for inspection, pick up (of vehicle & signing of title papers), make some cosmetic touches and drive to a prepaid
shipper to be shipped to my customer, while title papers and other
necessary documents will be handed over to my agent at the time of
pick up.
Please Confirm this and provide Name, Address and Phone
number for payment to be delivered to you via fedex courier service.
Anticipating your favourable co-operation.
Best regards,

My brain tells me "This seems too easy. He is buying a car he hasn't even seen yet." However, I can't see their "angle". I'm suspicious, but I am also eager to sell the car.

Can anyone see the flaw in this arrangement, and does this look like a common scam that I'm not aware of?

PS: No, I'm not selling my Cobra

hillie16

Stand Silent in Flames
Established Member
Scam, you send them (their "shipper") money, their check bounces, no one shows up to get the car, you owe the the bank the full amount.

crew_dawg16

Established Member
Anytime someone goes into that much detail about your "cashier check" you should just call it off. It is definitely a scam. Report the bastid.:cuss:

OhOneSnake

Let it melt......
Established Member
Well, considering I just got lasik surgery yesterday morning, I was kinda out of it when I read this. Getting a second opinion helped. No way in hell this is legal.

sbro712

Established Member
OhOneSnake said:
Well, considering I just got lasik surgery yesterday morning, I was kinda out of it when I read this. Getting a second opinion helped. No way in hell this is legal.

You would be surprised how many people fall for this.

blwn2kgt

Established Member
hillie16 said:
Scam, you send them (their "shipper") money, their check bounces, no one shows up to get the car, you owe the the bank the full amount.

I dont think a cashiers check can bounce it's the same as cash it's like a certified bank check get the check FIRST cash the check and when it clears and you have the cash tell the shipper he can come pick up the vehicle. Dont sign anythning or turn over the vehicle till you have the CASH in hand! Admittedly though something is fishy hehehehe

Last edited:

gduquett

SVT Rocks
Established Member
These checks do not 'bounce' in the traditional sense of the phrase. They are counterfeit checks - not good checks without ligitimate funds. Unforntunately the way the banking system works it takes the bank a little while to determine this... and unfortunately you (as the depositor) are responsibile for the balance in this case.

The MO is always the same - they send a check with 'extra' and would like that money back. It really does not make sense if you take a miniute to think about it. Something states 'scam' just reading the offers. Usually people are excited about getting their asking price (or more) and do not take the weird offer into account.

Steer clear of these offers.

blwn2kgt said:
I dont think a cashiers check can bounce it's the same as cash it's like a certified bank check

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
OhOneSnake-

A co-worker's son actually fell victim to this while selling a Harley through the newspaper about 2 years ago in Kansas City. This guy actually got the check sent to him, and within a few minutes the phone rang at his house, and it was the 'buyer' asking him to cash the check as soon as possible. :(

Once that happened, he decided to call the police and they got the FBI to handle it. They wound up busting a group of about 7 people from South America that had been pulling this scam for a long time. A bunch of Cashier's Checks from a bank (can't recall which one), had been stolen and they were trying to pass them off by looking through newspapers or Use Car Traders and buying expensive, popular cars & trucks.

Hopefully you'll forward the info to the right authorities and they can nail these buttwipes.

Always trust your instincts! :thumbsup: Good luck!

Last edited:

OhOneSnake

Let it melt......
Established Member
Thats my plan. My wife's boss is an Agent with the Secret Service. I'm going to give him a call tommorow and see which agency I should have handle it.

Users who are viewing this thread