Am I getting a good deal?

Bleedsblue

Established Member
I am looking at a 96 Cobra with 56,XXX miles on it. I can't begin to type the list of mods but lets just say it has them all. For the purpose of this post I'll just name some things.
BUILT motor professionally done with all info on the build. D1 Procharged, TKO 600, 355's with hardened axles, Suspension, exhaust, brakes, Ford racing chrome FR500's, Mint paint, Mint interior except for some common wear on the drivers seat, Clean as hell, bigger pulley and modestly tuned at 538 hp and 495 tq to the tire and apparently the person who built it was going to add a 200 shot on top. 6000 miles on the build.

What do you guys think it's worth?

Last edited:

1Nastycobra

Established Member
I'd say around $15k..Picture of it really puts it more into perspective. I would say if the economy was booming, it could probably sell for more, but realistically not alot of people are in the market to pay $15+k on a modded car right now. it all depends on how bad you want it because it would definitely cost you more than 15K jus in parts if you wanted to do whats already done to that car. I say, if you plan on keeping it for some time, it may be a good buy if the price is right. you dont come across tons of 96 cobras under 60k miles but like someone else said, you might come across anothers future problems. I'd go over everything carefully before purchasing.

CJK440

Established Member
Back around Xmas time I bought the vert in my sig for $10k. Its a 97 w/ 50k and basically all the same stuff you mentioned except still had the stock shortblock and stock T-45. Full MM front suspension w/ coilovers. UPR solid rear arms, Moser 31spline axles and tracloc with 4.10's etc. etc.

Of course I blew the stock shortblock quickly and replaced it with a crate shortblock.

I'll agree that $12k would be a decent buy.

Last edited:

bluebullitt256

Established Member
like described above your proly gonna buy someone elses problems. Just for reference i have a bolt on cw cobra mint condition with only 23k miles for sale for 11,000. black interior. Black Fr's with new toyo tires, H&rs, 4.10's, intake, exhaust, mgw, the normal mods. just to give you a perspective on price

Bleedsblue

Established Member
isnt that a member on heres car? i know i have seen that engine compartment before.

Maybe the prior owner. The guy I am dealing with bought it about a year ago. He said he also has a 800 HP Saleen that he is selling because he needs to finish building his garage before the winter and he has only put about 250 miles on the cobra since he bought it. He is having a tough time selling them because of his location. I stumbled across it while doing a crazedlist search. He claims to have 30k in parts recipts alone and has encouraged me to have my mechanic look at it. He says only top quality parts have been used and I tend to believe him do to the fact that those rims are 3 times as much as knock offs that look almost the same.

Last edited:

Bleedsblue

Established Member
I found his ad for this car from last year. The guy I am dealing with had some details wrong but had most of it right. He did pull the stereo system out. I love this sight. No Cobra is safe! I am pm'ing the orig owner after this post. One thing I noticed is that it has a stock crank. Are they any good?

Original Ad:

1996 Cobra Black/Saddle Built Motor/Trans D1SC 536/465

Up for sale is my 1996 mustang cobra. Black exterior and saddle interior.

I replaced the motor at 42k because of what I thought was a blown motor. Turns out it was the rear crank key that broke causing a knocking sound. I had the motor pulled and disassembled already so I figured Id go all out with the internals.

There are no know issues with the car mechanically, it starts every time and is smooth driving through the RPM’s. I had the car recently detailed by “mixer” and had a dent wizards guy pull all the dents from the car..

Paint Correction thread:
Cobra paint correction

The only noticeable blemish is the driver side corner of the rear bumper from the previous owner, looks like a parking lot style damage. I plan on having the rear bumper repainted this summer.

It was in a very minor low speed accident that required replacing of the passenger side headlight & corner light. The ford dealer sprayed the whole front end with the exception of the drivers side fender. (I have detailed pictures before and after)

The car made 536/465 @ 14psi on a mustang dyno in 95 degree heat. It was tuned by Jon Lund of Lund racing at Evolution Motorsports. The motor and Drivetrain are built for boost, with an overdrive pulley (included but not installed) you would see around 18psi and over 600 to the wheels.

I change the oil religiously (8qts) and the motor had a proper break in. Break in oil was Shell Rotella T SAE 30 changed, at first full operating temp, 500 miles, 1500miles, 3k miles and then I switched to mobile 1 5w20 and changed every 3.5k miles.

The supercharger oil is changed every 2 oil changes (self contained not hardlined to the oil pan).

The interior shows minor wear on the drivers seat (as most of these cars do). The passenger seat is near perfect as is the rest of the interior. I have a rear seat delete installed and have the original rear seats stored in plastic bags.

I put around 2-5k on the car per year. It sits inside my buddy’s garage in the winter and is stored outside with a cover over it the rest of the year.

The reason I am selling it that I don’t drive the car as much as I used to. I figure if I get what I’m asking for it, Ill sell and use the money I already have towards a down payment on a house. If not it will continue to be a garage queen.

I have a binder of dyno graphs (n/a old motor, 8psi, 12psi, 14psi), and an oak trees worth of receipts on the car(have most but not all). I would tally them up, but I’m afraid to see how much I actually spent. There is a ton of information from the builder of the motor.

I’ve tried to be as honest and open with the car as I can be. I’ll answer any questions as best as I can.

I’m asking 16k Firm. I am however open for trades but please PM or email me any offers or trades. ([email protected])

Price lowered... $14.5k ($1.5k off asking)

Car has about 56K on the body
10K on motor and trans
4k on the blower (swapped from a P1 to a D1)

Drivetrain:

Heads:
3 angle valve job/ resurface
SI heavy duty intake and exhaust valves
Melling Valve lifters
ARP head studs
Comp Cams performance valve retainer set
Melling Timing kit (chains, guides ect.)
Comp Cams performance valve springs
Stock Cams
“ultra Chrome” powder coated valve covers
Custom Head Cooling mod

Block:
Eagle H-beam connecting Rods w/ ARP 2000 head bolts
Weisco Forged pistons (8.5:1 Compression)
Federal Main/Rod bearing sets
Weisco Pistion Rings
Fel-pro brand gaskets through the whole motor
Stock crank

Other:
NaSVT short runner intake (powder coated “Ultra Chrome”)
NaSVT IMRC deletes
Accufab single blade Throttle Body
MMR Racing/Street oil Pump w/ cryo gearset
Evans Cooling water pump
Canton Racing Windage Trays
Canton 7qt road race/street oil pan
Canton coolant reservoir
Remanufactured alternator
Custom plug wire covers powder coated “blueberry vein” (32 valve DOHC)
Yellow top Optima battery
Upgraded steel belt tensioner
JLT Pcv filter
Had all smog equipment except front air Pump (still have) Turned off with Lund Tune
Gates Belt KO61140
Strut Tower Brace powdercoated “ultra chrome”

Supercharger:
Procharger D1-SC (4k miles)
3.4 pulley (14psi)
Procharger big red race bypass
Pro M MAF
3 core intercooler and all pipes powder coated “blueberry vein” w/t-clamps
Anderson Power Pipe

Exhaust:
BBK long tube headers
Magnaflow Magnapacks Cat back system
O2 sensor extension
BBK shorty H pipe catted w/ o2 bung welded in
BBK MIL’s (also turned off with a tune)

Transmission:
Hanlon Built T-45 transmission. Has all new synchros, blocking rings, bearings. Complete overhaul with fresh ATF. Upgraded aluminum shift forks to prevent the dreaded T-45 breakage.
Centerforce Ram HD Clutch 11”
MGW short throw shifter (orange handle)
CAT flywheel
Ford clutch cable
Ford throw out bearing and fork kit

Rear:
3.55 Rear gears/ bearings and seals installed by Swarr Auto (2k miles)
speedo gear calibrated for the 3.55’s

Spark/ Fuel:
TR6 Spark plugs
9mm Ford racing wires
Ford racing wire looms
Screamin Demon coil packs
60# injectors
255 Walboro fuel pump
190 inline Aeromotive pump
BBK fuel Pressure regulator

Interior:

Stereo:
Custom double din dash
Pioneer D1 double din indash navigation/Dvd/CD/MP3 player w/ Aux output
Kicker SolarBarix 12L7 subwoofer in 1.5 cubic foot sealed box
2 Kenwood amplifiers mounted under rear seat delete ( 4 channel 1000 watt, 2 channel 750 watt)
3 sets of 4 gauge wire from the battery back to the trunk with a 50w breaker
2x 1 fared Rockford Fosgate capacitors
Kenwood 6.5 component speakers in every corner
16ga speaker wire for speakers
10ga wires for subwoofer
R-Blox sound deadening ( inside of the car, front to back with the exception of the roof and firewall) Its very quite in the car, it really cut down on alot of road noise.

Inside:
Autometer Phantom Gauges (Blue led) electronic fuel pressure and boost
Blue Led gauge cluster swap
Dealer installed Ford alarm
OEM Cobra saddle floor mats
Custom Rear seat delete with Hinge
Billet headlight knob
Billet door lock pins
Grand Mat Designs “cobra” trunk lid mat
Painted Dash logos
Painted door cups
Painted radio Bezel
MGW shift knob (and shifter)
Redline Black leather shifter and Ebrake Leather boot set

Exterior:

Suspension:
Custom Swarr Auto Subframe connectors
Front and rear maximum motorsports poly spring isoltors
Ford “B” springs
Tokico 5 way adjustable shocks/struts
Maximum Morotsports 4 bolt caster camber plates
Steeda Bump Steer kit
Moog outer tie rods
Stop Tech Drilled/ Slotted rotors
Russel SS front break lines
EBC greenstuff pads
Energy Suspension Poly motor mounts and trans mount

Body:
Envoy Fog lights Mod
DMM Tuning HID kit 4300k 55 watt High/low beam
Rear fenders Rolled/Cut
Redline tuning QuickLIFT ELITE hood lift system
Ford Racing inverted hood pin system.
All dents/dings were pulled 6 months
15% Rear tint
Chrome bumper inserts
Cobra in the grille
Tinted rear taillights, rear side markers and trunk break light
“SvtCobra” rear license plate bracket

Wheels:
Real Ford Racing Chrome fr500’s (18x9) BFG KDW2s 265/35/18 Front and 295/35/18 rear (10k)

Last edited:

Cookieman00x

Drunk Again.
Established Member
dude, that car was done right.. I have no idea what he did to it since I had it though.

Please keep in mind, the guy steve selling it now, is a BS er... he just threw in name brand parts into his CL ad, withouth knowing the real parts.

It doesnt have a tko, and has stock axels. Also, I had no intention in adding nitrous...

Last edited:

scottg

it's good to be blown
Established Member
i don't know. i paid 12,500 for mine a week ago and it's a 96 cobra vert with 43,700 miles on it bone stock elderly owned.

Bleedsblue

Established Member
dude, that car was done right.. I have no idea what he did to it since I had it though.

Please keep in mind, the guy steve selling it now, is a BS er... he just threw in name brand parts into his CL ad, withouth knowing the real parts.

It doesnt have a tko, and has stock axels. Also, I had no intention in adding nitrous...

I kinda gathered that in talking to him that he really doesn't know his stuff. Instead of just admitting it he throws names out there.That being said he hasn't changed much but he did pull the system which sucks. He also put rear seats back in and changed the headlamps. He said he only put 270 miles on it since he bought it and it does say 56,XXX still so that's accurate. I called him out on the tranny and some other stuff. I don't think he is trying to be misleading I just think he honestly has his shit mixed up and doesn't know a lot about the stuff. He even told me he doesn't.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread