Am I crazy? Trading my GT500 for GT?

10random

SVT Lurker
Established Member
I just traded my 2010 GT500 in on a 2012 GT Premium Brembo 3.73 car. I test drove a 5.0 to feel out what the Boss would be like. My jaw hit the floor. I decided to skip the boss and "settle" on a 5.0. While the Shelby had more grunt, this car just left it in the dust for the overall driving experience. It handles a LOT better, brakes better, exhaust sounds better, and it's CHEAPER. I will miss the shiny front end and blower noise. Both are great cars, I just ended up liking the road manner and potential of playing with a new motor. Now comparing a 2012 GT500 to a GT might night have been as noticeable, but the 20k price difference is.

Last edited:

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
i had a 2007 gt500 with a Helion twin turbo kit and between 1046 and 650 rwhp depending on the tune...i sold it and bought a 2011 gt with all the options and am having a Hellion kit put on right now i dont regret at all the gt i believe was just as fast as the gt500 stock for stock handled way better way better interior no regrets
Wait, so the Hellion kit is out for the 2011?! I have been checking their site everyday in anticipation lol

andymarkv

Established Member
I think it all comes back to what you're trying to get out of the driving experience.

The new 5 liter cars are awesome and run great numbers on all tracks but just don't have the low end torque hit of a roots/screw blown car.

I will admit I am no track star by any means. I hit the drags a couple times a year. I could never extract the advantage of a lighter weight GT on the road course because my skill level isn't there.
My pullied 07 GT500 is mostly just for street fun.
I love being able to dip into the throttle and get that nice strong low end pull.
I know a stock/bolt-on GT wouldn't give me what I want. By the time I put a blower on it the cost savings isn't as big.

It sounds like you're sold on a new GT, and there is nothing wrong with that!
Both cars have positive things going for them.

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
I think it all comes back to what you're trying to get out of the driving experience.

The new 5 liter cars are awesome and run great numbers on all tracks but just don't have the low end torque hit of a roots/screw blown car.

I will admit I am no track star by any means. I hit the drags a couple times a year. I could never extract the advantage of a lighter weight GT on the road course because my skill level isn't there.
My pullied 07 GT500 is mostly just for street fun.
I love being able to dip into the throttle and get that nice strong low end pull.
I know a stock/bolt-on GT wouldn't give me what I want. By the time I put a blower on it the cost savings isn't as big.

It sounds like you're sold on a new GT, and there is nothing wrong with that!
Both cars have positive things going for them.

Agreed 100%. Good points sir.

kingnut

Established Member
your trading an apple for an apple. impulsive and impatient buyers like yourself keep car dealers in business. i say do it. its not my money.

ViciousJay

Established Member
before buying mine it was between a GT500 and the GT.The GT500 had alot going like forged internals, a updated aftermarket but it seemed a bit lack lustered because of its curves to me. I did like that the gt500 was forged and blown like my old cobra but gas was gonna be a rapist to my pocket... other then that they both pull great but honestly when is enough power really enough? i mean their's always gonna be someone faster

you know whats funny is ive had gt500 guys coming and asking me to trade (07-09) cars but to this day i still cant do it

Coyote 5.0

Member BED Racing
Established Member
I sold my 03 Cobra and traded my 09 corvette. never looked back. Save a bunch of money every month and the GT is one hell of a car. Not disappointed at all and like have naturally aspirated horsepower!!!!!

Grant808

Established Member
Doowit!

No regrets on getting the '11 GT here, and I was looking at both. I probably will swap my '03 vert for a GT500 vert later, maybe when they hit about $24k-$25k or so. But the 'old' GT500 interiors seem a little drab now. And the GT500 seats aren't as nice as the '03.

SicShelby09

Banned
I have no issues affording my GT500. But in an effort to save a few bucks a month and get a new style mustang, I was considering the GT. I owe way less than the GT500 is worth, so like I said before, financially this is great.

But sadly, after driving the GT, I decided to pass on it. I drove the 3.73 one with brembos and the 19" wheels. Its was peppy, but obviously no where near the muscle that my GT500 puts out. I guess I was hoping that it would feel a little stronger out of the box. And realisticly I would not be getting a blower for it for a few years because that would be the opposite of saving money....LOL But in terms of handling, it was very nice. But again, Im more of a straight line guy and the shelby puts the GT to shame. Lets be clear here. I was not looking for a car that was going to be as fast as my car out of the box, but I was hoping for more. My car with a pulley/tune/cai runs 122-123 mph in the 1/4 and will need only a few hundred more dollars to bump that to 125-127. It would take thousands to do this to the GT. So I will pass. Cool car, and I really like the lopey tune thing. So carry on.

kevinp

Established Member
I have no issues affording my GT500. But in an effort to save a few bucks a month and get a new style mustang, I was considering the GT. I owe way less than the GT500 is worth, so like I said before, financially this is great.

But sadly, after driving the GT, I decided to pass on it. I drove the 3.73 one with brembos and the 19" wheels. Its was peppy, but obviously no where near the muscle that my GT500 puts out. I guess I was hoping that it would feel a little stronger out of the box. And realisticly I would not be getting a blower for it for a few years because that would be the opposite of saving money....LOL But in terms of handling, it was very nice. But again, Im more of a straight line guy and the shelby puts the GT to shame. Lets be clear here. I was not looking for a car that was going to be as fast as my car out of the box, but I was hoping for more. My car with a pulley/tune/cai runs 122-123 mph in the 1/4 and will need only a few hundred more dollars to bump that to 125-127. It would take thousands to do this to the GT. So I will pass. Cool car, and I really like the lopey tune thing. So carry on.

If you are into the car good money-wise and dont have new car fever nothing wrong with keeping what you have.

I would not have expected a 5.0 to feel anywhere near as fast as the Shelby, this 5.0 auto car felt like a Yugo the first time I drove it after the GT500. But at high rpm is where they really shine and unless you are looking at the speedo they are pretty deceiving.

5.0jake

Established Member

This is why I asked if you have test driven it yet...

I too am disappointed on how this car pulls stock. Not saying this car isn't quick but it's the weakest feeling 400 hp car Ive ever felt. I'm hoping a tune will improve this?!
The new 11' V6 "feels" like a joke for 300 hp, my Rav4 v6 pulls harder.
Overall my 5.0 is a blast to drive but the lack of grunt is disappointing.

Last edited:

kevinp

Established Member
This is why I asked if you have test driven it yet...
I too am disappointed on how this car pulls stock. Not saying this car isn't quick but it's the weakest feeling 400 hp car Ive ever felt. I'm hoping a tune will improve this?!
The new 11' V6 "feels" like a joke for 300 hp, my Rav4 v6 pulls harder.
Overall my 5.0 is a blast to drive but the lack of grunt is disappointing.

Na, my old E92 M3 was the weakest 400 hp car (4.0L N/A V8) I ever drove. It had a red line of 8400rpm and you had to use it, under 4000rpm it was a dog. If you wanted to just take off fairly quick to keep up with traffic it sounded like you were on a full out drag race pass, you had to work it.

Some dig it, I didnt, give me torque/CID ;)

SicShelby09

Banned
Yeah, and I guess I have the option to refinance the car through my same bank for a lower rate and payment because Im in such a great equity situation. I didnt know this, I found it out after I called the bank for a payoff yesterday. So it looks like i will be able to keep this thing, and have a much nicer payment than before.

Still, no offense to the 5.0 guys, and Im sure its a beast with the procharger. But thats another $5k atleast to spend without install and tunning. And still no where near the tq I already put down. I still would love to have one, but not get rid of the shelby to do it.

5.0jake

Established Member
Na, my old E92 M3 was the weakest 400 hp car (4.0L N/A V8) I ever drove. It had a red line of 8400rpm and you had to use it, under 4000rpm it was a dog. If you wanted to just take off fairly quick to keep up with traffic it sounded like you were on a full out drag race pass, you had to work it.

Some dig it, I didnt, give me torque/CID ;)
I've driven a v8 M3 and it was nice but found it pulled less than my speed 3 with intake/downpipe only ha ha.

I hope a tune for my 5.0 makes a big difference in grunt because I can't afford a blower or to lose my warranty.:bored:

Users who are viewing this thread