Aluminum vs Steel flywheel revisited...

tomcat

Forever Foxbodys
Established Member
Hey fellas
I am posting a pm that Jimmysidecar and I had recently and I wanted to get a little more input here as to what you prefer and WHY. I am especially looking to see what the Whipple & Kenne Bell guys have to say....Thanks !
-tomcat

Original Question:
Hey Jimmy
I am a (usually) silent fan of yours here at SVT who enjoys reading your posts and you are definitely one of the guys who make this forum worthwhile. I noticed in your sig a phrase that makes me want your opinion on something. I am referring to the "say no to rotating mass" statement. It is time (actually, way past time!) for me to upgrade the tranny on my 03 cobra (26 spline input shaft, Spec 3+ clutch, LP retainer sleeve, FRPP pilot bearing & throwout bearing) and, of course, the flywheel. The question involves aluminum vs billet steel. So yes, I did do my homework and search the forums for similar questions, but I don't think every point was covered, at least not for my set up and type of driving. I have the whipple 2.3 & supporting mods putting down 612/556 SAE corrected,and I use this car for street driving only - no 1/4 mile track type of stuff. I am more of the 60 -130 type of guy (yes, in Mexico ). I fully understand the benefits of minimizing rotating mass, but I also see some potential negatives as well, namely 1) billet steel is much stronger than Aluminum, and 2) rotating mass may actually be your friend when changing gears say from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th (basically anything BUT from a dig) as the rpms won't fall as quickly. I would value your thoughts on this, as I will be purchasing the parts soon. Maybe this can also be moved over to the driveline section as well if you feel that any discussion here is of value for others . Thank you! -tom (tomcat)

Response:You pretty much described above all the conditions validating a decision to use an Aluminum flywheel.
You are not doing dig runs. Even then my view is they are of extremely limited benefit.
The steel flywheel being stronger is almost comical, sorry. I am not you it's just that you are not going to break our flywheel.

The guys talking about how much more enjoyable the steel flywheel car is to street drive, coming off stop lights and stop signs, I believe are trying to cover up and are compensating for their mistake and loss of power. I have a real hard time taking those posts seriously.
High mass flywheels are for getting heavy sedans moving in the first ten feet, after that they rob power and slow acceleration.
High mass large diameter wheels also rob large amounts of power but don't contribute inertia.

I also don't think they would be worth the power loss while delivering a slight bit of inertia on shifts.
The inertia advantage would be delivered and over in milliseconds and then the mass would turn back into drag.
The high mass would also make spinning on shifts easier, and contribute to more down stream drive line breakage.

You can get replacement friction inserts for our stock Aluminum flywheels and fix them even if they are really trashed.
Our OE flywheel is a McLeod unit and they sell the replacement inserts for our flywheel. I plan on keeping mine when I finally get slippage on my stocker and replace it with an RXT twin. Currently everything from the clutch pedal to the ring and pinion is still stock and working fine. I do have a different diff and bushings back there but except for the MGW shifter and R/P fluid everything else is stock and living.

Lift shifts and almost no drag racing makes stuff last though. You have a lot more power and different usage.

Less rotating mass is nearly always an improvement in this hobby. The energy of a high mass flywheel is released so fast, the advantage is probably more like the first two feet. After than it is the worst form of drag, and in a rather large diameter. Nope, not liking it.

If you want to start a thread in Driveline on this feel free. You can copy and past this PM if you want.
Though I'm sure the steel flywheel guys are going to bust my balls for sure
[/I][/I].

stal94gt

Established Member
the billet steel wheel from spec is not as heavy as people think. the carbon steel is much lighter than cast steel, which oem wheels are made of. im sure the oem aluminum wheel does much better at high rpm's than a cast wheel and has less of a chance of breaking, but the sfi aproved spec billet steel wheel is made for high rpm's, and high clamp clutches. i had a talk with spec when i chose mine and they highly recommended the billet steel wheel for high hp operations. yes there is a slight weight gain but it is not the 13 lbs people think, its more like 5 lbs.

timbo3282

Established Member
were do you get the replacements for the stock fly wheel??

You could get a stock replacement from Tousley Ford, but if you are replacing the flywheel you'd be a fool not to replace it with an aluminum flywheel. Like JimmySideCar said, you are not going to break an aluminum flywheel period.

Eliminating rotating mass, when and where ever you can is just plain smart.

The only smart choice is to get one of the billet aluminum flywheels that have steel friction inserts. With those, when you replace your clutch next time, you just buy a new steel insert and you don't have to take your old flywheel to the machine shop for resurfacing or buy an entire new flywheel. You just spend about $40 on the steel insert and you have a new flywheel all over again, every time. It is the best of the best option.

Ram and many other companies make them. Here is a link for a Ram clutch at Latemodel Restoration: 1996-12 Mustang Ram Billet Aluminum Flywheel, 8 Bolt at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

cobracide

Established Member
Once you step into the high performance clutch area (+500hp), for the street - steel will help prevent chatter. Autocross - generally go with Aluminum and for drag go with Steel. Again GENERALLY.

Aluminum vs Steel

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
That was funny the first 100 times you did that but now your responding that way is just as pointless as the point you are trying to make....

That horse is dead amigo.

Damn it. That sux. Didn't think I was at 100 yet. Next time I will try and post less useful information.

Last edited:

timbo3282

Established Member
Damn it. That sux. Didn't think I was at 100 yet. Next time I will try and post less useful information.

It seems to me that if some folks (ahem) spent half the effort they spend telling people to search for things (when the search feature on the site is known to be a joke) or with other BS like how to Google steel vs. aluminum by actually answering the questions that are asked, there would be fewer unnecessary posts and the damn site might be a tad more helpful.

In the time you spent making that stupid, unhelpful link you could have said something HELPFUL. This site is supposed to be SVT Ford guys helping other SVT Ford guys, not guys being jackasses unnecessarily.

If you don't know the answer than don't post anything and if you do, how about answering the question? :cuss: What good does it do anyone for you to post a link on how to Google steel vs. aluminum when that was not the question? The answer to the difference between steel and aluminum didn't answer the OP's question.

Just an observation.

cobracide

Established Member
It seems to me that if some folks (ahem) spent half the effort they spend telling people to search for things (when the search feature on the site is known to be a joke) or with other BS like how to Google steel vs. aluminum by actually answering the questions that are asked, there would be fewer unnecessary posts and the damn site might be a tad more helpful.

In the time you spent making that stupid, unhelpful link you could have said something HELPFUL. This site is supposed to be SVT Ford guys helping other SVT Ford guys, not guys being jackasses unnecessarily.

If you don't know the answer than don't post anything and if you do, how about answering the question? :cuss: What good does it do anyone for you to post a link on how to Google steel vs. aluminum when that was not the question? The answer to the difference between steel and aluminum didn't answer the OP's question.

Just an observation.

First off, if you actually LOOKED at the search results - you would see they are all from this site. Secondly, learning how to use google to search this site is a very useful trick. Third - the results actually show many different threads discussing EXACTLY what is being asked.

Did you get all of that? How's that for being observant?

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
I have a Spec Billet Stell FW. I love it.
I do have less chatter, I did not notice any performance difference, but I may just be making that up due to the lack of power.

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I guess I'm one of those guys That Jimmy says is covering up. BUT IMO the steel flywheel is better for a DD than the alum ones. My Ford steel flywheel wieghed in at 33 LBS. And made it much easyer to leave lights and keep rolling in stop and go traffic.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
I guess I'm one of those guys That Jimmy says is covering up. BUT IMO the steel flywheel is better for a DD than the alum ones. My Ford steel flywheel wieghed in at 33 LBS. And made it much easyer to leave lights and keep rolling in stop and go traffic.

I'm lost here.. So you got a steel flywheel and it made it easier to take off from a red light? Are you trying to just let the clutch out with no gas and the car just take off? Also how does the flywheel help keep you rolling in stop and go traffic?

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I takes less RPM the leave the light and it seamed to be easyer takeing a left or right onto side streets with less down shifting.

rtvickers

Established Member
Here's my concern. I had an aluminum flywheel. I thinks its stock. It looks like the center section is replacable. But it looks like its riveted in. Didnt think I could change it. So I bought a used almost new steel flywheel. I think its from spec. It was said that it only had 1000mi on it. I paid $60 for it. I cleaned it up and it looked brand new. I took my car to the track a few weeks ago and made some runs. It seems like its down on power. It just didnt pull on the top end like it did before. Somethings not right. Would the switch from aluminum to steel make that big of a difference? I also made a few other changes so Im not totally convinced its the flywheel. I had the S/C loose. I think something is going on there also. The boost doesnt seem right.

The aluminum flywheel was so warped it couldnt be resurfaced, thats why I didnt reuse it. Here's a pic of it.

flywheel.gif

IMG00049-20110502-0635.gif

Last edited:

timbo3282

Established Member
First off, if you actually LOOKED at the search results - you would see they are all from this site. Secondly, learning how to use google to search this site is a very useful trick. Third - the results actually show many different threads discussing EXACTLY what is being asked.

Did you get all of that? How's that for being observant?

It still would have taken half the time to just answer the question vs being a smart ass. Just saying - easier to be helpful than be a smart ass, but I guess that's just not you.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Fidanza Billet Aluminum here with replaceable insert. One of the best mods I have bought for the car, never had any issues, it pays for itself in the long run. Been running it since 2004.

Last edited:

timbo3282

Established Member
Here's my concern. I had an aluminum flywheel. I thinks its stock. It looks like the center section is replacable. But it looks like its riveted in. Didnt think I could change it. So I bought a used almost new steel flywheel. I think its from spec. It was said that it only had 1000mi on it. I paid $60 for it. I cleaned it up and it looked brand new. I took my car to the track a few weeks ago and made some runs. It seems like its down on power. It just didnt pull on the top end like it did before. Somethings not right. Would the switch from aluminum to steel make that big of a difference? I also made a few other changes so Im not totally convinced its the flywheel. I had the S/C loose. I think something is going on there also. The boost doesnt seem right.

The aluminum flywheel was so warped it couldnt be resurfaced, thats why I didnt reuse it. Here's a pic of it.

flywheel.gif

IMG00049-20110502-0635.gif

So with the heavier flywheel the engine isn't going to spin up as quickly as it did with the aluminum flywheel - but the engine should not feel like it is down on power. It should just rev a little more slowly. I'm guessing that something else is the problem if the engine is actually down on power. Is it possible the new clutch is slipping?

Removing any reciprocating weight you can is always a good idea. While the billet steel flywheels are cheaper the aluminum flywheels are worth the extra money.

It looks like you could have drilled out the steel insert in that old flywheel and riveted a new one in. but I am not totally certain. I'd have to see it in person to be certain.

Buying an aftermarket aluminum flywheel with a replaceable steel friction surface is the only way to go - you get what you pay for.

Users who are viewing this thread