Aluminum Intercooler Fluid Tank Conductivity

ModsAway

Established Member
Some of the longer threads touched briefly on the aftermarket aluminum intercooler fluid reservoirs but I wanted to start this thread for more direct information.

Please post facts or your opinion based on having the units installed already.

I am concerned with conducting heat from the engine INTO the fluid through the aluminum case due to the aluminum conducting more heat than the factory plastic cases.

Road racers and daily drivers, are these boxes worth it?

ModsAway

Established Member
TTT.

I just want to know if this mod will actually start to hurt performance after the car gets to operating temperatures and it starts to get hot under the hood.

All the extra fluid capacity is great and all but after all the fluid is warmed up (will take a lot longer) will the effects be negated by the aluminum case conducting heat from the engine.

SlowSVT

Established Member
For a daily driver I don't think you will see any benefit going to an aftermarket intercooler reservoir. For a drag racer I suppose you could fill it with ice for additional cooling but the problem with that is from the reservoir it will travel to the intercooler first and get warmed up by the ambient air before traveling onto the intake manifold. The ice would melt pretty quickly. Plus having the tank heat soaking in a hot engine compartment is not a good idea either. I'm thinking about insulating my stock plastic reservoir which in the engine campartment would be a better material then aluminum.

ModsAway

Established Member
Thank you for the reply... Although not directly in the engine compartment persay the intercooler and heat exchanger are both close to the engine and are made out of aluminum purposefully to conduct heat so it can be dispated from the liquid...

Also the fluid from the tank goes to the heat exchanger first then to the intercooler if I am not mistaken.

Tat03Cobra

Established Member
ModsAway said:
Thank you for the reply... Although not directly in the engine compartment persay the intercooler and heat exchanger are both close to the engine and are made out of aluminum purposefully to conduct heat so it can be dispated from the liquid...

Also the fluid from the tank goes to the heat exchanger first then to the intercooler if I am not mistaken.

you are correct - hits the pum, then into the HE, then into the intercooler and back to the tank - subscribing

peace

wiz

your daddy!!!
Established Member
ModsAway said:
I am concerned with conducting heat from the engine INTO the fluid through the aluminum case due to the aluminum conducting more heat than the factory plastic cases.
interesting point

metaman

Established Member
More fluid capacity will not nessesarily result in higher HP numbers, however it will delay the temp rise in the fluid. Precision says they can make one with heat sinks on it maby this would cancel out the issue. Or maby have the aluminum unit jet hot coated to insulate it.

FordFreak

Established Member
metaman said:
More fluid capacity will not nessesarily result in higher HP numbers, however it will delay the temp rise in the fluid. Precision says they can make one with heat sinks on it maby this would cancel out the issue. Or maby have the aluminum unit jet hot coated to insulate it.

From all the testing we've done there was no conclusion that the engine heat soaked into the intercooler reservoir. While you are driving all that engine heat is forced downward under the car. Some dont understand the amount of air that is blowing through the engine compartment while you are driving. When I get all my figures together and laid out, they will all be posted on the site including pictures of the testing.

Yes, if anyone would want a custom piece with heat sinks that would not be a problem. This would be great for road racers. Might look kinda of goofy though. haha But hey, go before show! :)

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
ModsAway said:

I should have replaced ""intercooler" with "heat exchanger". I stated after the intercooler (heat exchanger) it "travels to the intake manifold" (intercooler) which is what I implied. Just wanted to clerify.

ModsAway

Established Member
I assume some people have this product in their cars already... those of you lucky enough to be in the warmer states especially.

Hopefully someone can chime in with their experience with this product.

Users who are viewing this thread