aluminum flywheel

CrazyPerson

Established Member
does anyone use an aluminum flywheel? if so what is a good brand to use? also, do you have to change the harmonic balancer for an aluminum flywheel? let me konw! cant do anything else but this mod.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I don't think that you have to change the harmonic balancer. You should just bolt it up and go.

Toasty

Established Member
does anyone use an aluminum flywheel? if so what is a good brand to use? also, do you have to change the harmonic balancer for an aluminum flywheel? let me konw! cant do anything else but this mod.

First off, our engines are 'zero' imbalance, meaning that they are internally balanced and dont require a offset weighted flywheel or harmonic balancer to ensure correct balance of the reciprocating assembly. 64-69 (iirc) Ford windsor smallblocks (5.0 and 5.8) were 28 oz imbalance, and from 70 on they were 50oz imbalance. These engines needed to be mated to a SPECIFIC balance flywheel and harmonic balancer to ensure the integrity of the reciprocating assembly.

Fyi, 03-04 Cobra's came from the factory with a aluminum flywheel and a 11" clutch. I installed the 03-04 alum flywheel clutch and PP on my car in the spring (ford racing complete kit). Once broken in, I really liked the way the flywheel allowed the engine to rev 'freer'. It came at a small cost however - you needed to increase the rpms just ever so slightly (200-300 rpms) when starting off from a dead stop. The alum flywheel doesnt have the intertia force that the steel one does.

HOWEVER, once I installed my Kenne Bell 1.5 PD blower, the need to rev the engine a bit to take off from a dead stop went away. with the 1.5 KB installed I guess I have a sort of 'baby' terminator setup and it works very well with the flywheel. I think Coletti's boyos knew what they were doing when the built the 03-04 platform.

Last edited:

fourvalvegt

Established Member
im using the 03 04 cobra flywheel with a spec 3 (6 puck) and i love it. it really takes some getting used to because with an aluminum flywheel in doesnt have as much inertia in the lower rpms so it wants to stall easier and 6 pucks grab really hard. You will definitely be changing your driving style.

blackmagicmach

The PoPo
Established Member
yeah i the fendenza alum flywheel and a mcleaod street clutch, and too quote my friend
"man this thing revs like a sport bike but with balls!!!!!"

Users who are viewing this thread