aluminum flywheel for drag racing/street car?

musclemustang65

NA again
Established Member
ive read that they are better for auto cross/normal driving due to reasons like the sudden jolt launching hard off the line and quick rpm drops. But i want to hear from anyone who has one that does drag their car and launch hard. My car needs a clutch soon and im looking into this before i pull the trans. For refference my car makes 466rwhp and ran a best 60ft of 1.61 and 7.61 1/8th time.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Well, IMO I've used both behind a bunch of different vehicles and to do it right, you really need to do some R&D work on your own, It depends on torque curves, horsepower, vehicle weight and gearing..naturally no one is really going to do that except hard core drag racers. You may want to find somebody that runs a similar setup to yours and ask them. FWIW I'd run a lighter (but not necessarily an aluminum) wheel.
BTW a heavy wheel will not cause sudden RPM drops, just the opposite, it will continue to try and spin.

LilRoush

M112'd Roush x2
Established Member
There are two ways I've seen people look at it:

Aluminum means less rotating mass means quicker revs and less weight to haul down the track.

The heavier flywheel will let you hit it harder getting out of the hole.

OW99

Established Member
A heavier flywheel is easier to launch. Aluminum is trickier. My dad had a stack of 50 or so flywheels testing them on our Chevelle. The heaviest one (50lbs) got the best 60ft of 1.19, compared to mid 1.20s for lighter ones.

Users who are viewing this thread