aluminum driveshafts

vnms96

Established Member
just wondering how much difference does having an aluminum driveshaft make? i have on on my car and are they stock?

vnms96

Established Member
oh ok. i didnt know it was on there til i was changing out the the tb, clutch fork and pivot ball

Dixie96Cobra

Established Member
I've heard it is roughly twelve HP, but that may have been just one instance. I want to get one just to cut down on vibration.

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
Our 5.0 GT has one and it felt a little more "free". From normal take offs to less vibrations compared to the stock one. BUT, shit is rubbing with the E-brake mount.:cuss::cuss: My advice is, don't put one on if your dropped more than 1.5" to 1.7". Even when I grinded a bit off of it, it still hits with one passenger in the car and even by myself on some freeways.:cuss:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^^ yup this is true my e-brake cable just snapped yesterday. No more ebrake for me. It's been rubbing for about 8 months but I couldn't do anything about it because I had no time and it's my DD.. My advice would be to get a custom driveshaft made if your car is dropped, or reroute the ebrake cable if possible..

JasonSnake

Established Member
I have one and my car is lowered with 2" sportlines. I hear or feel no rubbing of any kind

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
It won't add horsepower, just reduce parasitic torque loss.

It's easier for the engine to get the lighter shaft turning.

It will reduce vibs at higher rpms.

If you have gears, you'll notice the difference, especially at higher speeds.

GR40Snake

Chief Financial Officer
Established Member
No rubbing hear either. Generally, our shafts are 3 1/2" dia thought Griggs was selling a 3" dia, but stopped for a while because the shop making them for GR was suffering from some quality issues, by now they might have found somebody else. This would be a solution for those with rubbing issues.

Re hp my before & after: I went from 289 to 298rwhp w/ these changes - BBK CAI to JLT CAI swap & t56 /w alum shaft & alum fly/new clutch & additional tuning. In conclusion: just an alum shaft won't find you much hp at only around 6lbs. less rotating mass, the alum fly on the other hand is about 15lbs. less & combined it defiantly wants to spin up faster.

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
hhhhmm......maybe ours rubs because the springs are starting to sag?:read:

how long have you guys had your springs?

Im running BBK Progressives on the 5.0, I think mine are like 10 years old, maybe thats why LOL

Toasty

Established Member
It won't add horsepower, just reduce parasitic torque loss.

So it *should* actually increase RWHP a bit over stock. How much is debatable.

Stock is 305 HP. Real RHWP in stock trim with no mods is 245-260 (lots of variation due to cam timing variances from the factory apparently). The 40-ish HP diff between engine and wheel HP is due to 'parasitic losses' in the drivetrain. Trans, diff, accessories, etc all contribute to this. Rotating mass plays a role in this and the driveshaft is part of the rotating mass.

Again, how much a gain occurs with a alum driveshaft is up for discussion, but there should be some gain.

vnms96

Established Member
well i no longer have an aluminum driveshaft! this is what happens when they rub to long and you put some sticky tires on!
snapped.jpg

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Oh sh!t good to know because I have grooves in mine really bad, but I don't launch my car. What d/s are you going w/ next??

My94GT

Established Member
hmm my car sits pretty low and has no rubbing issue at all. it made a very noticable difference in how my car runs through the rpms. alot smoother now id say

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
Damn I launch the crap out of my car. I have never heard of this "rubbing" stuff. I am gonna check into that.

About the DS I have alot less vibration in the car. With my 4.10's the vibration was getting very annoying. But overall I love the aluminum DS. I'm really not sure I understood the question though.

Users who are viewing this thread