Aluminum Driveshaft....

dstow13

Established Member
First off I have a 2014 5.0 with a kennel bell supercharger, and BMR rear lower & upper control arm(s), BMR pan hard bar & support bar. & the ford racing sway bars. other than that my suspension is stock and the kennel bell is the only power adder i have currently.

my issue is that yesterday i installed an aluminum driveshaft from The Driveshaft Shop. install went great. got everything torqued and blue thread locked like the instructions asked for. and when i lowered the car i did the driveshaft measurement and it was within specs. so everything was good to go. at the same time i installed the Whiteline transmission mount bushing and also the BMR driveshaft safety loop.

the problem is that whenever I'm accelerating I'm getting a very concerning vibration. i don't feel it while cruising. i know a lot of people complained about the vibration that the transmission mount caused so my plan of attack is to remove the transmission mount, drive it again to see if the vibration is not present. If it is still present, what should be my next move? as to finding out what is causing the vibration

redfirepearlgt

SIT BACK AND HANG ON !!!
Established Member
Try clocking the driveshaft first 180 degrees. and see if it gets better. If not try clocking it by one or two bolt holes. Otherwise I'd get on the phone with DSS and tell them about it. I just put an aluminum Axle Exchange in mine and have had zero issues. Very happy with it. Direct swap, no adapters.

evil281

Established Member
If the driveshaft was out of balance I'm pretty sure you would feel it cruising at highway speeds too. Given the fact it's only under acceleration I would try taking out the trans mount first. Then follow the steps above to clock it.

Also make sure your pinion angle is correct for a 1 piece shaft.

dstow13

Established Member
awesome! thanks guys. I'll try clocking it if the transmission mount isn't the cause.

@barnspace007 i initially had trouble with my safety loop as well. my issue was that when i installed it, it was centered like the instructions asks for but when i test drove it, you could feel it hitting something. so when i got the car back on the lift, i noticed that the driveshaft had this sort of lip/hump type thing that was hitting the loop. so we had to raise the loop a little so it would clear.

barnspace007

Established Member
awesome! thanks guys. I'll try clocking it if the transmission mount isn't the cause.

@barnspace007 i initially had trouble with my safety loop as well. my issue was that when i installed it, it was centered like the instructions asks for but when i test drove it, you could feel it hitting something. so when i got the car back on the lift, i noticed that the driveshaft had this sort of lip/hump type thing that was hitting the loop. so we had to raise the loop a little so it would clear.

let us know when you get it worked out.... how do you like your kenne bell supercharger, any times or dyno numbers?

FL Steve

Established Member
I'm pretty sure your transmission mount is the culprit. I first installed my one piece drive shaft with no issues then a few months later installed the transmission mount and experience accel and decel vibrations. Its give and take with that piece but I love how it helped with high RPM shifting.

dstow13

Established Member
sorry for the late reply. been busy with work. but i was able to take the transmission mount out and that was the issue. now she drives amazing with the new driveshaft. no more vibration. thanks guys!

dstow13

Established Member
let us know when you get it worked out.... how do you like your kenne bell supercharger, any times or dyno numbers?

i love the kenne bell supercharger. since I'm in cali and we only have 91 octane its currently set up for 8 psi. and i did dyne it once and it put down a sorrowful 500 hp at the wheels. kinda hoping it would have been closer to the 550 but hey ill take 500. its still plenty quick. plus in the near future I'm going to be putting long tubes and off road h pipe and get dyne tuned by AED so hopefully ill pick up some hp

evil281

Established Member
That sounds pretty low even for 91. Did you data log and have them revise the tune at all or are you just running the canned tune?

dstow13

Established Member
That sounds pretty low even for 91. Did you data log and have them revise the tune at all or are you just running the canned tune?

No I didn't. I'm just using the tune that kennel bell provided. But once I get the exhaust on and have AED dyno tune it I'm hoping for more. And it only put down 376 torque at the wheels as well. It was some local dyno so I don't think those numbers are entirely accurate. It feels like it's putting more down than that.

redfirepearlgt

SIT BACK AND HANG ON !!!
Established Member
i love the kenne bell supercharger. since I'm in cali and we only have 91 octane its currently set up for 8 psi. and i did dyne it once and it put down a sorrowful 500 hp at the wheels. kinda hoping it would have been closer to the 550 but hey ill take 500. its still plenty quick. plus in the near future I'm going to be putting long tubes and off road h pipe and get dyne tuned by AED so hopefully ill pick up some hp

500 isn't bad for a tune on 91 and all that has to be done to comply with California C.A.R.B. compliancy. There may be a little more in it and if anyone can find it Shawn @ AED can. Wish he was closer to us. I have had great success with Justin at VMP tuning for my simple setup. Roush's phase I package is CARB compliant and rated at 575 FW which yields about 485-490. I ran that setup for a while and the tune was for crap. Dropped to an 82mm pulley and went with a tune from VMP tuning and the car made 568 on the factory cold air box. Great setup if you don't like to advertise you're running a TVS when driving down the road. I've caught quite a few off guard with it. They think at first its only a stock mustang with some axle back exhaust on it. Fun to pull on a corvette or two with it. I call that "corvette tipping". LOL!

Lived in SD, CA for 7 years so curious how you are going to tag the car when it goes non CARB compliant with all the changes you have in store for it. In the early 90's guys would just get a PO box in Nevada and register their non Cali emissions setup cars there. Just being curious how its done today since I consider Cali a second home.

Users who are viewing this thread