aluminum driveshaft is it worth it?

AJMAJOR

Established Member
i was just wondering if an aluminum driveshaft is worth it? ive been looking around and have read that some people love the upgrade and some that seemed make it sound like its not worth the money.

i have a 99 cobra w/ basic bolt ons cai, underdrive pulleys, throttle body, sct tuner, 3.73 gears and some suspension mods.

any input would be apprecitated. after my next deployment i plan on putting a supercharger on it.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
i was just wondering if an aluminum driveshaft is worth it? ive been looking around and have read that some people love the upgrade and some that seemed make it sound like its not worth the money.

i have a 99 cobra w/ basic bolt ons cai, underdrive pulleys, throttle body, sct tuner, 3.73 gears and some suspension mods.

any input would be apprecitated. after my next deployment i plan on putting a supercharger on it.

If you develop a high speed drive line vibration with the 3.73's and the speeds you may be able to obtain with the supercharger, then go to an aluminum 3.5" driveshaft. Otherwise save your money. You'll be lucky to net a .05 et improvement off of it alone.

OW99

Established Member
It's balanced better, it's lighter, and above all else, it's shiny! Snakeraper11b pretty much explained the reason why to get one.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Frpp makes then the 96-04 gt mach 96-01 cobra all use the same drive shaft.

black2007shelby

pure venom
Established Member

that 99 cobra engine cant handle boost, save ur money and changed to a 03 and up cobra / shelby better

01yellercobra

Established Member
Frpp makes then the 96-04 gt mach 96-01 cobra all use the same drive shaft.

No they aren't. The solid axle drive shafts are longer. The fox body drive shaft will fit, but it's tight. I had to finangle mine to get it in place.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
99/01 cobras are 1 inch shorter.
44.5 compared to 45.5.

No they aren't. The solid axle drive shafts are longer. The fox body drive shaft will fit, but it's tight. I had to finangle mine to get it in place.

We installed a frpp drive shaft in an 03 mach 1 with a SRA then swaped in the 03 cobra irs an used the same frpp drive shaft. Fit with 100% no issues.

So not sure what issue you guys have had. Also the frpp shaft for the fox uses a different spline count for the output shaft so it would not work on a 96-04 with a T45 or tr3650.

RioSnake

Twisty SVT Cobra
Established Member
Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
We installed a frpp drive shaft in an 03 mach 1 with a SRA then swaped in the 03 cobra irs an used the same frpp drive shaft. Fit with 100% no issues.

So not sure what issue you guys have had. Also the frpp shaft for the fox uses a different spline count for the output shaft so it would not work on a 96-04 with a T45 or tr3650.

If you used the J shaft then it would work with the SRA and IRS. The J shaft is for fox body and is shorter. It's not that hard to swap yokes. That's what I did for mine.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

DHG4410

Established Member
Some say the J FRPP will fit, but it is tight. Cheaper than the American Muscle is purchase the J model and have it shortened and balanced to 44.5.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
If you used the J shaft then it would work with the SRA and IRS. The J shaft is for fox body and is shorter. It's not that hard to swap yokes. That's what I did for mine.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

1996- 2004 MUSTANG 4.6 M / T- HD ALUMINUM DRIVESHAFT ASSEMBLY

The j shaft is used for the 96-04 31spline. Here is the link above. Which works in both SRA an IRS.

The G shaft is a 28spline made to use in fox bodys with manual or auto an SRA an IRS.

Ford Racing 28 Spline Aluminum Mustang Driveshaft (79-95 5.0L, 94-04 V6) M-4602-G - Free Shipping!

agent-orange

Established Member
Hi Guys

I bought an 03/04 Cobra Alu drive shaft and the guy, which sold it, told me, that I only have to reuse the flanges/u-joints or whatever from my 01 cobra and it would fit. Is that true?

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Hi Guys

I bought an 03/04 Cobra Alu drive shaft and the guy, which sold it, told me, that I only have to reuse the flanges/u-joints or whatever from my 01 cobra and it would fit. Is that true?

Incorrect. the 99-01 have a 1330 U joint which is smaller then the 03-04's 1350. You need a hybrid u joint for the rear to go from the driveshaft to the pinion flange.

agent-orange

Established Member
that means, that I have just to buy a hybrid u joint, that I can use pinion yoke of the stock ds? Whats with the other end? Can I use the slip yoke of the 03/04 DS or do I have to use the stock one with a hybrid joint?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread