Aluminum Driveshaft for 95R

boogie

Established Member
Anyone put in an aluminum driveshaft for their 95R? I occasionaly have a small 'clunk' when going in and out of gears (usually at low speeds) and we think it is in the u-joints. Sounded like a good opportunity for me to upgrade to an aluminum driveshaft.
;-)

Is there anything I need to be careful of? Will there be a difference between one for a regular 95 cobra and the R?

thanks!

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
The R has a shorter driveshaft due to the Tremec 3550 being longer than a T-5. So, the street 95 Cobra will not work. I am not aware of anyone making an aluminum driveshaft off the shelf. Someone like Griggs could get you one but hang onto your wallet.

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by tomshep
The R has a shorter driveshaft
Tom, the 95R has a “shorter” driveshaft? What is the difference in the 95R Tremec and the over the counter Tremec? Most of the guys running aluminum driveshafts in their Tremec equipped 94/95 Mustangs are using a 5/8inch spacer because the Tremec trans and bellhousing is shorter then the T5 trans and bellhousing. This would indicate to me that the 95R has a longer driveshaft.:shrug:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Todd,

I need to do some measuring. I can't remember where, but I thought I had read the R driveshaft was shorter. I will look into it and post back.

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
driveshaft

Tom,

The trans. & bell. are a little shorter, hence the shaft a little longer. You just had it reversed. Just like your car #47 is really #74 in your PIC. I do it all the time with my stuff. We can't help it, we're just trying to have fun and get caught up in what we're saying.
I saw the ZIPPO cars at Road Atlanta ('98 Petite LaMans) along with the SNIPES FORD cars. They all ran very good.

GREAT FIND! Have fun.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Gene,

The car has been raced under 3 numbers--all with the same paint. The car was first raced as #47, which is the way I had it decaled. It was #17 in 1999 and then #74 from 2000-2002. The picture is from Mid Ohio in 2000 thus is reads #74.

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
car #

Originally posted by tomshep
Gene,

The car has been raced under 3 numbers--all with the same paint. The car was first raced as #47, which is the way I had it decaled. It was #17 in 1999 and then #74 from 2000-2002. The picture is from Mid Ohio in 2000 thus is reads #74.

Sorry, I just thought you got it backwards in the heat of the moment. That is neet that your car has a lot of "famous" RACE history.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
This is an update to have complete info for the future.

As Todd mentioned, the 5/8 spacer is available from Steeda and costs about $50.

Now, that being said the FMS driveshaft needed when running a 3550 tranny is for the 94/5 Mustang running a 28 spline output shaft.

IF you upgrade to a TKO tranny the output is 31 spline so you need to ordere the 96/8 drivshaft.

The ONLY difference between these driveshafts is the spline count on the yoke. CL to CL is the same.

Gene Evans sells these driveshaft for $149.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread