Aluminum drive shaft; is it worth it to keep or return it?

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Hey guys, I just purchased an aluminum DS. Now I'm wondering if I should keep it; kind of getting cold feet. Its still unopen new in the box.

I bought it on a Monday, than that same Monday night I bought a daily driver toyota pick up. The pick up needs some tlc like new front windshield ($100), new brakes, registration and tags. I have the money to do all of that and more but feel like I shouldn't have bought the DS. I wasn't aware that I was going to buy a DD so soon, but it was a deal I could not pass up!

Is the very small gain worth keeping it since I already have it? or should I send it back and pay the shipping fee? If I do, and if no one beats me to it I might get a shortrunner intake and tune.

My goals are 12's NA on a drag radial. Do I absolutely need it? Is it essential to my quest for conistent 12's?

I have 4.10's already and am unaware if I have any vibrations that this DS might cure.

Charizard

Established Member
6-10lb weight difference and safe to use with 4.30+ unlike the spec for the stock

Stock supposedly isn't safe for 4.56 but people use it anyway.

I got mine to fight vibration and it worked like a charm.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
Aluminum driveshaft isn't the best thing I've ever bought for my car, but I'm sure glad I did and would never go back to the stock one. I doubt it makes the car faster, but it makes the driveline much smoother. I'd keep it unless you're dying for money.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Hell man, I JUST bought a used one on CL yesterday for 180...then guy threw it in for me on the spot in 10 minutes. Man, my car drives so much smoother, revs better, and shifts even feel smoother. I felt an immediate difference.

I just deleted the IMRCs and the throttle felt muddy between 1500-3000rpm and it doesn't even feel like that anymore. I haven't even got my tune yet.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
This is the last thing I need to purchase before I can put the new rear end it. Still have to rebuild it though lol. The best deal I have found is at American Muscle plus the discount code. Has anybody found an aluminum driveshaft cheaper? I haven't called Tousley.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
This is the last thing I need to purchase before I can put the new rear end it. Still have to rebuild it though lol. The best deal I have found is at American Muscle plus the discount code. Has anybody found an aluminum driveshaft cheaper? I haven't called Tousley.

Try Craigslist. Just have to inspect u-joints.

96GT/SC

Ford Fan
Established Member
Keep it, I love mine. Coupled with an aluminum flywheel I noticed a difference. Much more free revving and smoother.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Well I do already have it, might as well throw it on. Ive heard not much in performance gains but lots of good experiences on drive train feel. Lots of good feedback guys.

sounds like you really benefited ATL. Good deal on it too!

The new one comes with new u joints as well.

I was looking for something to give a free-er revving feel.

Users who are viewing this thread