CAI: Aluminium or Plastic?

• Aluminium

Votes: 21 30.0%
  • Plastic

Votes: 49 70.0%

• Total voters

JP DEMOLET

Established Member
Brad, you do pick up hp & torque with adding length in front of the meter.

You just need a certain straight length to staighten the airflow. I have 4" of straight length in front of the meter.

Most dyno feedback shows more hp, a little leaner A/F, and less torque with the up position.

We had a lot of our preliminary testing results confirmed during the shootout.

When they switched the 6" filter to the 9" they lost hp and torque but logically you would think "why this" with a bigger filter.

It's due to the fact that you pick up torque up to a certain length in 'forward intake tract length' and the 9" went past this max. hp, torque, spot.

I have it tunable to run 1 bend, 2 bends, or no bends so you have a choice. It's just that you have to play around with different lengths & filter variables to find 'sweet spots.

There's no reason to discount which works best until you test.

I.E. I have a lot of customers living in Colorado, running at high elevations and the tunability has been related to me to really help with different airflow characteristics in relation to altitude.

Fordy

Established Member
SCMod46 said:
Plastic stays cooler longer.

Exactly right, any person arguing the fact that a metal intake can make more hp than a plastic one may need some schooling on how cold air works/makes more power. :\. Sure it may not look as BEAUTIFUL as a chrome rice pipe but will definitely show a little on dynos.

postalbunny

Established Member
plastic... rather, carbon fiber.

I would worry about the alum/metal affecting the air temp much as the air is being pulled in fast. But it makes it MUCH easier to mess with if you have to take it off after the car has been running. I remember this from my fox body days.

JymBart

Established Member
Our new underhood setup uses a Carbon fiber shield.
Our carbon fiber shield surrounds the whole filter to offer the best of both worlds: much less heat absorption and the filter is not exposed as in some simple plastic shields.

News

toll free 866-509-7453

John,
Nice to see you on the forum again, ... glad you are still making fine products!! My 94 & 03 Cobras are still running your cold air setups.

JymBart

Jroc

Established Member
LOL at this thread.

Feels just like 2004 all over again. :nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread