aluminator short block for my cobra.

zacmustang03

Established Member
Hey guys i am rebuilding my cobra motor this winter i had one of my pistons come apart this year.

My question to you is has anyone got an aliminator short block and swapped over their heads and eaton etc.. how has it worked and was it worth it? i want to raise the compression ratio in my new build as well as go with an aluminum block. so my cobra motor is not cratered by any means. I stopped driving it the moment it was hurt. that being said what can i use from that motor and what do i need to replace (crank , rods,)?

Option 1: i find an aluminum block and swap my cobra parts over with new pistons and bearings .

Option 2: i pick up an aluminator short block and swap over my heads etc.

What do you guys think is a better route?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I choose Option 1.

You can get a teksid block which is super strong. You add ARP main studs, and side bolts which the aluminators don't have. That right there is enough for me. Also you can select a custom piston package for your setup. You should be able to reuse your stock crank and rods as long as they aren't damaged. You would need new pistons, bearings, rings, etc..

Steve@Tasca

Maybe I'm confused but it looks to me like the Aluminator has side bolts.

M-6009-A46X_zps16078807.jpg

The Aluminator 5.0 stroker is a nice unit and unless you're really going nuts should be plenty for almost anything you want to build. What is your goal powerwise?

-Steve

zacmustang03

Established Member
Maybe I'm confused but it looks to me like the Aluminator has side bolts.

M-6009-A46X_zps16078807.jpg

The Aluminator 5.0 stroker is a nice unit and unless you're really going nuts should be plenty for almost anything you want to build. What is your goal powerwise?

-Steve
650 to 700 whp eventually. for the first year ill just be running the eaton till i put away a little more cash.

Stanger00

Established Member
The Aluminator is cheaper. Although it's been 4 years my built short block with ARP everything and machining, balancing and assembly ran me close to 4300ish. Aluminator short block was 3400 shipped and it showed up in 5 days instead of 2-3 months waiting for machining and custom pistons.

Edit: I didn't have forged crank or rods and I had to purchase separately and those things are expensive!

Last edited:

uaecobra

Established Member
for me depend on my budget . also I like be classic so I will look for used COBRA Engine and replace my old broke .
good luck

Users who are viewing this thread