alternator

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
Im on my 2nd one in two months! I really dont know what to do, either gonna open it up and try and have someone weld the diodes, rather then solder, or buy one from ford which is probably gonna suck a$$!! Dont know yet...

MustangMikeKy

Whippled L
Established Member
I got a duralast from autozone with a lifetime warranty, if it breaks, they replace fo free. . .

i agree, changing them sucks ass, but the next time i do it, i will prob be able to do it in half the time. . .

i brought mine out the top btw. . .

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
Whats so hard about this alternator?

1. Remove Battery and Tray
2. Remove Serpentine Belt
3. Loosen alternator and alternator bracket top bolts (remove bolts after you undo the bottom)
4. Get under vehicle.
5. Unbolt power and wiring connector to alternator
6. Unbolt lower Alternator Bolt and lower bracket bolt.
7. Slide Alternator out of bottom of vehicle after twisting about 90 degrees towards the top of the vehicle and turning about 60-80 degrees. NOTE: You must pull the power steering lines out of the way (alternator goes out b/w drivers side tire and P/S lines)
7. REVERSE for install.
Voila! 1/2 hour maybe 45 mins

Last edited:

joseph.devenney

How hard could it be
Established Member
I dont think its that hard, but when your doing it every couple of months it tends to piss you off!! As you can tell I will be changing mine tomorrow and this will be the second time in 2 months.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
If you keep putting cheap alternators in the car you will continue to have to change them. Either Motorcraft or the Start 'n Charge alternator is the only way to go. Autozone can afford to keep giving you new ones because their cost is low.

20psirabbit

Established Member
If you keep putting cheap alternators in the car you will continue to have to change them. Either Motorcraft or the Start 'n Charge alternator is the only way to go. Autozone can afford to keep giving you new ones because their cost is low.

is there any chance the start'n'charge alternators have the diode situation fixed? or whatever it is that causes all the alternator drama in these cars?

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
is there any chance the start'n'charge alternators have the diode situation fixed?
I know that he uses the best HD diode plate available for the alt which is usually what goes out on the stocker. I don't think he's ever had this failure on one of his units, that I'm aware of, but you can call him and ask him yourself. His number is on my website, he'll tell you straight up what the situation is with the alts... real honest, nice guy :thumbsup:

exdeath

Established Member
Whats so hard about this alternator?

1. Remove Battery and Tray
2. Remove Serpentine Belt
3. Loosen alternator and alternator bracket top bolts (remove bolts after you undo the bottom)
4. Get under vehicle.
5. Unbolt power and wiring connector to alternator
6. Unbolt lower Alternator Bolt and lower bracket bolt.
7. Slide Alternator out of bottom of vehicle after twisting about 90 degrees towards the top of the vehicle and turning about 60-80 degrees. NOTE: You must pull the power steering lines out of the way (alternator goes out b/w drivers side tire and P/S lines)
7. REVERSE for install.
Voila! 1/2 hour maybe 45 mins

Compared to any other car:

1) loosen bolts
2) remove belt
3) remove alternator

:banana:

wickedsnake03

KB blown
Established Member
I got about 2000 miles on my start and charge unit and it is amazing. Plus I only heard of 2 having issues from him and he resolved the issue right away and didnt charge anything. To me that sounds like a guy that is for the people not someone mass producing crap and trying to get rich

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
Compared to any other car:

1) loosen bolts
2) remove belt
3) remove alternator

:banana:

OH wow you add the braket bolts and you add the battery tray?
and no, on VERY many cars it is much more in depth ( I have worked as a technician and advisor at Mercedes, Acura, Ford, Dodge, Nissan, and an idividual shop.)

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Plus I only heard of 2 having issues from him and he resolved the issue right away and didnt charge anything. To me that sounds like a guy that is for the people not someone mass producing crap and trying to get rich
That's true... early on he was using a different rotor and something was coming apart at high rpms. He has since switched to a different mfg for the rotor and seems to have resolved it. Jamie's a great guy and has stayed committed to his customers and also finding the best components possible for his alts.

20psirabbit

Established Member
That's true... early on he was using a different rotor and something was coming apart at high rpms. He has since switched to a different mfg for the rotor and seems to have resolved it. Jamie's a great guy and has stayed committed to his customers and also finding the best components possible for his alts.

that's good to know, thanks man :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread