alternator

solidsnakesvt

Established Member
I recently purchased and installed a PA performance alternator because the bearing in my original alternator were going bad. So today on the way to work my battery light comes on. (only when the car idles) It did not do this when I took it for a test drive after I installed it. The battery is only a year old and I don't have underdrive pulleys. It is as if the alternator is not spinning fast enough. If I rev the motor the battery light goes out. Has anyone had any problems with the pa performance alternators? Also my car idles at 850-900rpm. Thanks in advance

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
i would say small short, or bad battery. Ive only heard good things about performance alternators. but dont rule anything out... Has this been a problem for u the whole year or just recently with the new alternator, and how old is ure battery

solidsnakesvt

Established Member
Battery is maybe a year old. The other alternator still worked but the bearings were going bad. I don't think it is a short because if I give it some gas the battery light will come off. Makes me think the alternator is not putting out enough voltage at idle. I emailed PA performance but have not heard back yet.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
well not saying they make crappy alts. by any means, but it doesnt mean you may not have one going bad. if you have a volt meter check the batt. voltage before you start on the terminals.. then start it, check it again.. should be 13.8volts or more... then turn the ac, rear defrost, radio, high beams.... everything electrical you can turn on to put a full load on the system.. then check the output while its running. if its lower than 13.8 to 13.5, id say its going bad. and you could also have a bad diode in the alt. too....

GR40Snake

Chief Financial Officer
Established Member
Nobody makes a better alt for our cars than ford. Is your pa alt powder coated? If yes your in for nothing but problems.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
RoadZOmbie said:
Heat, they retain heat.

I know, but there's a bunch of vent holes in the casing. HGow much hotter can it really get?
I plan on powdercoating my Alt over the winter.

solidsnakesvt

Established Member
The alternator was not powdercoated. I contacted the company and the e-mailed me a ups shipping label and I will be sending the alternator to them today. The guy from pa-performance was helpful. He said they would check it out and let me know what they find. I did end up buying an alternator locally so I really don't need the pa alternator anymore.

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
GR40Snake said:
Nobody makes a better alt for our cars than ford. Is your pa alt powder coated? If yes your in for nothing but problems.

agreed. i've never been a fan of "overkill" power accessories for our cars. keep in mind also that with your pullies, your alt is being driven slower than stock. in my cobra, whenever i'd sit at idle the lights would dim and voltage meter drop. when i reved the motor the lights would brighten and voltage meter went back up. i never experienced my battery light coming on, but with pullies it seems everyone's report of using them is different, some have issues some dont. thats just my observation.

caliboy08

Established Member
i had a sinilar problem with a PA 200amp on my 96 cobra... PA figured that the alt wasn't spinning fast enough at idle, and had me send it back and they fitted a different pulley on it.. it was based on idle speed and voltage output from the alt..

Users who are viewing this thread