Alternator Question

PONY MAN

Established Member
I have an 88 GT 5.0.
I recently had the starter changed & when I did , it looks like my alternator doesn't charge as strong as it once had.
The wires are properly attached, battery cables are good,new battery ...
What I noticed is that when the headlights or ac are on the amp meter drops considerably.
Could it be the alternater is beginning to go bad ?
You input is apppreciated.

SQ Stang

I'm an SIT WOO WOO
Established Member
I would think so...do it now before it just stops on you one day like it did to me.

PONY MAN

Established Member
SQ Stang said:
I would think so...do it now before it just stops on you one day like it did to me.
Thanks for the reply.
I just had the car tuned up & it runs really good, but the charging problem is driving me crazy.
When I get paid this week, the new alternator sill be installed.

blecoupe89

Sprayin for 10's
Established Member
If you have alot of accessories on the car I would reccommend a higher amp alternator than stock. I believe the stock on is about 80 amps while the better ones are 130-160amps :beer:

PONY MAN

Established Member
blecoupe89 said:
If you have alot of accessories on the car I would reccommend a higher amp alternator than stock. I believe the stock on is about 80 amps while the better ones are 130-160amps :beer:
Cool, a coworker was telling me the same thing.
Yeah, the car is pretty loaded with electric stuff ie ;vert top,stereo, electric windows \ seats ....

Last edited:

Matt03Snake

Established Member
PONY MAN said:
I have an 88 GT 5.0.
I recently had the starter changed & when I did , it looks like my alternator doesn't charge as strong as it once had.
The wires are properly attached, battery cables are good,new battery ...
What I noticed is that when the headlights or ac are on the amp meter drops considerably.
Could it be the alternater is beginning to go bad ?
You input is apppreciated.

I would recommend upgrading to the 94/95 alternator. It is 130 amps compared to 75 on the fox. All you have to do is some slight clearancing on the bracket.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/72.shtml

I bought a reman from autozone from a 94GT and have had no problems running it my 88. No more dimming headlights! :)

PONY MAN

Established Member
Matt03Snake said:
I would recommend upgrading to the 94/95 alternator. It is 130 amps compared to 75 on the fox. All you have to do is some slight clearancing on the bracket.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/72.shtml

I bought a reman from autozone from a 94GT and have had no problems running it my 88. No more dimming headlights! :)
Cool, you guys are great for getting good sound info.
Thanks again, will do. :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread