alternator problems at mustang week....wonderful

gatty1303

Established Member
so im down here for mustang week and i am cruising tonight and notice that my aeroforce interceptor is acting funny. The light on the gauge begins to get really dim and then when i speed up it gets bright again. So i check my battery volts and here is what i find:
idle with a/c and radio on- 10.0-10.9 volts
idle with a/c and radio off- 11.2 volts
cruising with everything off- 12.0-12.9 volts
so i park the car at my hotel and try to start it and nothing...just clicking...perfect time to break down while on vacation. Anyone got any recommendations/help on what i can do? its the only car we brought down here so obviously it needs to be fixed. any locals down here that know where i might be able to get an oem alternator? any help from anyone would be great...thanks...oh btw im staying at the sands resort and my car is in a parking garage

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
hey, there is a advanced auto parts about 15 min tops you have to go past the mall and hooters hooters will be on your left so go in that direction...let me know if you need a jump i dont have cables but i can try something for you, advanced will have a alternator to get you by and i have a whole tool set in my cobra ..203-695-4873 im @ barefoot landing btw

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
that sucks

i'd find someone with an alternator tester before u start changing the alt. my battery died because i had left my terminals lose after installing something.

mine went out like 5 months ago... i broke down on a busy road and it was embarassing

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
so im down here for mustang week and i am cruising tonight and notice that my aeroforce interceptor is acting funny. The light on the gauge begins to get really dim and then when i speed up it gets bright again. So i check my battery volts and here is what i find:
idle with a/c and radio on- 10.0-10.9 volts
idle with a/c and radio off- 11.2 volts
cruising with everything off- 12.0-12.9 volts
so i park the car at my hotel and try to start it and nothing...just clicking...perfect time to break down while on vacation. Anyone got any recommendations/help on what i can do? its the only car we brought down here so obviously it needs to be fixed. any locals down here that know where i might be able to get an oem alternator? any help from anyone would be great...thanks...oh btw im staying at the sands resort and my car is in a parking garage

How many miles on the car? Has the crankshaft ever had an over-drive pulley on it?...did you put a BIGGER pulley on the ALT if so to slow it down? If you can get a ride over, take your battery out over to Advanced/Napa...etc and get it checked. Might be as simple as just needing a new battery.

What is the age/condition of the battery? Original?

The ALT isn't TOO bad to change, you'll need jackstands, jack, some basic hand tools... (which I have). If you get in a bind and can't get it fixed/figured out, shoot me an email @ [email protected] and I'll run up with tools to give you a hand.

:rockon:

Last edited:

futureSVT

Established Member
good info^ also if you need any extra help shoot me a pm and i have a socket set. i have nothing else to do. lol

gatty1303

Established Member
How many miles on the car? Has the crankshaft ever had an over-drive pulley on it?...did you put a BIGGER pulley on the ALT if so to slow it down? If you can get a ride over, take your battery out over to Advanced/Napa...etc and get it checked. Might be as simple as just needing a new battery.

What is the age/condition of the battery? Original?

The ALT isn't TOO bad to change, you'll need jackstands, jack, some basic hand tools... (which I have). If you get in a bind and can't get it fixed/figured out, shoot me an email @ [email protected] and I'll run up with tools to give you a hand.

:rockon:

car has 34,000 miles with stock crank pulley and stock alternator pulley...i changed the battery after this winter

gatty1303

Established Member
just talked to ford and every ford dealership in the area sells reman units so i suppose i will pick up one of those. they need the unit off mine first so i need to figure out how im going to do that

carlosz28

Yellowboy03 vert
Established Member
Sorry that happened to you. I always worry about the light coming on. My car did me the same way. I don't have fear of breaking nothing. Just that Bat light coming on driving. Makes you want to keep a spare. I am good now. Only takes aroung 15mins to replace. Take off positive side, belt, top bolt, a brace bolt, alt cable, and 2nd alt bolt and pull at angle and replace and bolt up.

I see some of the good men carry tools in the trunk. I need to do that with a jack and stands.

I am glad you back up. Hope the STealership didn't rape you.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
A lot of nice guys around here willing to lend a helping hand.

thats good to know.:beer:

gatty1303

Established Member
A lot of nice guys around here willing to lend a helping hand.

thats good to know.:beer:

i agree...thanks to everyone for that...and the stealership couldnt rape me too bad....still within my 3 year, 36,000 extended from when i purchased in 2008 :banana::banana::banana:

Users who are viewing this thread