alternator headaches

bumsoil

Established Member
Im on my 3rd parts store alternator, first died at 5000rpm on its first drive, second works till its hot then voltage regulator stop working correctly. 3rd had bad bearings from the start.

i just ordered a alternator off amazon, should be here tomorrow: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ELP6HW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Wondering if anyone has run one, or if i should have gone with a SR performance 150amp for $190.

Anyone else run into similar alternator issues like this? Im about to put my original one back in, even though it is failing, it seems more reliable then the ultima from oreilly.

Martin6107

Established Member
Rebuilt alternators ... yikes! after going through 3 of them myself, I finally just got a rebuild kit and did it myself.
http://alternatorstarterrebuildkits.com/

There is really NOTHING to rebuilding an alternator. Kits cost about one third the price of some crappy off-shore produced junk that is incapable of lasting a week.

I think that they have a high output option too.

CzchMex

Established Member
SR Perf makes great alternators. Well they did when I purchased some years ago. Rebuilt usually are not as tempermental as you are experiencing.

Makes me concerned about replacing mine when I do.

Helomech74

Established Member
I just ordered a high output unit from MechMan. Too many headaches with rebuilt units not lasting. Make sure to size the pulley to keep the alternator in a safe operating rpm range.

bumsoil

Established Member
Ended up getting the Quality-Built 7781601N, so far its running STRONG! my cars running fantastic!!! the string of bad alternators killed my 1 year old optima too, but that's what warranties are for.

Users who are viewing this thread