Alternator going out?

LIGHTNINROD

Established Member
I just replaced my 2001 L's original battery. It had 99,000 miles and 5 years on it so I can't complain.

I put in a NAPA Orbital battery(thanks Chris) yesterday. I put my trickle charger on it since it had been several months since it was made. The charger brought it up to 13.4V. I checked its voltage after 60 miles or so of driving today and it had dropped back to 12.7V:shrug: .

I think my alternator is failing. I havn't had an alternator output test done on it yet. Is it failing IYO?

Dan

LIGHTNINROD

Established Member
Thanks but for some reason, I remember from waaaaaay back that a fully charged 12V battery sould show 13.2 or .4V:dw: Have I mis-remembered my long ago Electrical class?

Dan

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
When my alt went out i used a multimeter on the batt post to see what it was charging. With the dead alt it was only at like 10 and with the new alt it was 14 or close to it.
BTW where did you get that Napa batt??

funair02

Established Member
lightninmike said:
When my alt went out i used a multimeter on the batt post to see what it was charging. With the dead alt it was only at like 10 and with the new alt it was 14 or close to it.

Yep

LIGHTNINROD

Established Member
lightninmike said:
BTW where did you get that Napa batt??

From here.

"Do you have a Midtronics tester @ work?"

Uh no, since I'm a stockbroker:lol1: .

Dan

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
LIGHTNINROD said:
"Do you have a Midtronics tester @ work?"

Uh no, since I'm a stockbroker:lol1: .

Dan

My bad, I got you confused with the guy from NAPA in Norwalk with a similar screen name.

We have a Midtronics MCR500 That runs a very simple test of the charging system 2 minutes and you have your answer. We do it free of charge for our customers, but I don't know if most stores do that or not.

Users who are viewing this thread