Alternative pro-charger oil????

Cobrababymilk

Established Member
Hey guys I'm new here and don't know if this has been talked about before but I was just about to order some oil from ATi and I was thinking to myself,"damn this shit is expensive". Have any of you guys ever ran anything else in your head units? I've read some people using royal purole syncromax and having good results. Sorry if this is a re-thread. Thanks for reading

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
don't use anything else. it's as thin as mineral oil because you blower spins very fast (mine goes at 74K at WOT). kenne bells and PD blowers you can use other stuff for but not prochargers or vortechs due to the high rpm.

Cobrababymilk

Established Member
Ok I can understand that, now if you have a vortech unit, those ones are not self contained right? How come they can Feed off of the oil pan for their lubrication?

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
Ok I can understand that, now if you have a vortech unit, those ones are not self contained right? How come they can Feed off of the oil pan for their lubrication?

I use a procharger personally, and have used their oil so far. I, just like you am always looking for better/easier ways to acquire or do things. I used Lucas straight 50w in my old kenne bell with success, but have found nothing of the sort for the centri self containted blowers. If it were to be analyzed by a lab possibly, but I don't have access to that.

01yellercobra

Established Member

It's just the way the blower is designed. And it doesn't feed off the pan. A line is tapped into the pressure side of the oil, usually around the oil filter adapter and then the oil drains back to the pan.

Vortech also has self contained head units now. I believe Paxton does as well since they're the same company.

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
Personally, I also use the Procharger oil. Do you drive the piss out of your car? You only have to change it once every 6000 miles based on Procharger recommended intervals. $10 every 6k miles seems pretty cheap to me. That's twice a year for the average DD at 12k per year. $20/year :dw:

mustanginky

Established Member
yeah it's expensive to order, but i searched online extensively to see if you could use an alternative oil and could find nothing. in an older MM&FF or 5.0 SF issue they plumbed engine oil and did tests on the heat inside the blower. i think procharger assisted in this experiment, and the internal temps were way higher with engine oil. so i suppose other oil can be used, but why would you? the oil is very thin, and it STINKS lol. just use the procharger oil instead of risk a $1500 or whatever repair it'll cost. just my .02c.

97snakebite

Established Member
anyone running a different oil? searched and found 4 possibilities

- RP 20/50w
- PR 0/20w xrp
- RP syncromax
- RP 5/20w

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
I still don't get why anyone would want to use something other than what procharger recommends. It's expensive oz VS oz compared to normal oil but it's not like your putting in 6-7 quarts every 3k miles. If you don't like the fact that you have to buy oil from them get a non self contained blower so you don't have to worry about it.

Search around for a local speed shop that carries the oil. Might save you on shipping. We have one locally that sells it for $30 per 3 pack. Comes will the new dipstick plastic o ring thing too.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Hey guys I'm new here and don't know if this has been talked about before but I was just about to order some oil from ATi and I was thinking to myself,"damn this shit is expensive". Have any of you guys ever ran anything else in your head units? I've read some people using royal purole syncromax and having good results. Sorry if this is a re-thread. Thanks for reading

The price isn't too bad it is the BS shipping and handling on top of it..like 12-15 dollars?

I feel you but for peace of mind it is worth the extra money IMHO. I would hate a costly rebuild to save $15 a year.

Think of it as insurance?

97snakebite

Established Member
switched the RP out..i just wanted to run it for a few days to clean out the case... Filled the blower up with Amsoil Marine 75/90 Gear oil.Ran it a day just to get it around.. drained/filled again. so far so good.. anyone know where i can send the oil off too to see the break down?

Users who are viewing this thread