altenator broke

pipe

*pee* ~pay~
Established Member
the altenator gave up, it could be that only the voltage regulator needs to be changed, but just in case, does any one a good brand for altenators?

SNAKEYE

Established Member
pipe said:
the altenator gave up, it could be that only the voltage regulator needs to be changed, but just in case, does any one a good brand for altenators?

FYI: On the Cobra, the generator consists of the alternator and voltage regulator an an assembly. Ford says that you can only buy them as a single unit. I don't know what other sources of generators will tell you. Despite Ford's line of BS, I did remove my VR and had it tested by an independent rebuilder. It was shot, and he had a replacement VR. Cost me about $35, plus my time to remove and install.
Good luck getting it fixed.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
SNAKEYE said:
FYI: On the Cobra, the generator consists of the alternator and voltage regulator an an assembly.

For the first question in this thread, maybe this will help........................

Here is a discription of an Alternator, linked below. The last Ford that I can remember that actually had a generator was around 1964. The 64.5 Mustang had a generator, the 65 Mustang had an alternator and every Mustang since that time had an alternator. Alternator produce AC current, unlike generators which produce DC current. The AC is then changed to DC for battery charging. Generators had external voltage regulators. As electronics advanced, the alternator voltage regulators became integrated into the alternator housing itself, internal regulator.

http://www.misterfixit.com/alterntr.htm

R

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread