Alright magnum T56 swap going down this week, tips?

BUCKET

Established Member
Trans showing up tomorrow, anyone done this themselves and got any tips. Combed thru threads and most swaps I find someone else did it. Also, got no air right now so what's the chances of me getting flywheel bolts out with breaker bar?

Post up what info ya got

darreng505

Established Member
You can find a lot of info in my thread 'Magnum XL Going in', in the Boss forum.
Be prepared for a crank-sensor relearn flash.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I just completed mine this past week.

If I can offer one piece of advice, it's to mount the bellhousing to the transmission and stab them together.

Also, wiring the speedo box is kind of a pain as the instructions I was given weren't very clear.

All told, I did it on my garage floor on jackstands but a lift would have definitely made it easier.

I also installed mcleod rst clutch, lightened flywheel, and cobra jet pulse ring but did not get the CEL. I believe that is triggered if you move the flywheel when you install the clutch. I used a flywheel holder tool and marked it's location before beginning.

good luck! feel free to PM if you have any questions. Where did you buy the trans from?

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Trans showing up tomorrow, anyone done this themselves and got any tips. Combed thru threads and most swaps I find someone else did it. Also, got no air right now so what's the chances of me getting flywheel bolts out with breaker bar?

Post up what info ya got

Flywheel bolts are only torqued down to about ~60ft lbs from the factory so it's no problem getting them with a 1/2" ratchet, assuming you can hold the flywheel in place.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I heard of guys getting a less stiffer reverse lockout spring installed before the tranny gets installed, because i hear reverse is a chore with the magnum!

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Reverse lockout is no problem, even without it being wired up. I was worried about it at first, enough that I ordered the pigtail to get it wired correctly but it's not hard at all.

BUCKET

Established Member
Well trans shows up tomorrow, ill be tearing into car tomorrow night. From there ill be pounding on it after work on jack stands of course.

BUCKET

Established Member
I only plan on going forward. Not lifting the throttle
With 12psi of boost screaming the whole way. No more babying trans!

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I got a quote from jpc for the tranny a spec 3+ clutch,all the other goodies, the install and 4:10 ford racing gears , been considering it for a few months now , even though theres's nothing really wrong with my mt-82!!!!!

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Well trans shows up tomorrow, ill be tearing into car tomorrow night. From there ill be pounding on it after work on jack stands of course.

I can also tell you this--I wasn't able to get the car high enough off the ground to get the transmission on the tranny jack and slide it under the car. First I slid the transmission under the car and then recruited a neighbor to come help me place it on top of the tranny jack from under neath the car. It was a pain but it's the only way I could do it. My jackstands only got the car 15.5" off the ground and I needed at least 21" of clearance for the transmission/transmission jack.

Good luck!

BUCKET

Established Member
Won't be first time I've benched a trans while someone else ran bolts.

My MT-82 is fine as well. Less than 7k miles on it
Just tired of baby'n it so I don't get stranded

Last edited:

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Won't be first time I've benched a trans while someone else ran bolts.

My MT-82 is fine as well. Less than 7k miles on it
Just tired of baby'n it so I don't get stranded

What are you going to do with it?

poof100

Established Member
I'd spring for the ARP flywheel bolts while you are putting in the Magnum. Did those when JPC put my Magnum in. Don't bother with that High RPM pulse ring, no difference and we didn't put it in.

Love my Magnum, the stock shifter with it is awesome and shifts like butter! I also got a custom Boss 302 shift knob made from Speed Dawg/EPCO with the correct R pattern to complete the setup.

Users who are viewing this thread