Almost died this past weekend

LBguy

must get stronger!
Established Member
And no I'm not kidding. Happened while mountain biking on Saturday morning in the rain. Went with 4 other guys, 5 total including me. We all managed to get out safely but 3 bikes were lost and a couple of us got banged up pretty good.

Cliff's notes: flash flooding turned streams into rivers which almost swept us away.

Go here for detailed stories of what happened: http://socaltrailriders.org/articles.htm
It's the stories about Maple Springs. Mine is the "George's perspective" one.

Heard on the news yesterday that a landslide fell onto a house/store alongside the little road that goes up to the trail we were at. A girl who was in her 2nd floor bedroom was killed by a boulder.

I'm damn glad to be alive and with no serious injuries.

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
man, good to hear you and your buds are ok. you've really been getting pounded out there...

03cobraLuver

Established Member
glad that you and your crew are safe. would be sad if one or ther other survived and the other didnt. be careful though, lotta ways to get hurt out there.

LBguy

must get stronger!
Established Member
Thanks. We all thought it was just gonna be a fun ride in the rain. The flash flooding and the streams turning into rivers took all of us by surprise. One guy had been riding there for 22 years and had never seen that happen.

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
yeah, but aren't you guys like thirty plus inches above average on rainfall? i'll bet noone has seen that for a while. next time bring your innertube! lol...

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Who knew you needed life jackets to ride mountain bikes? Good to hear you and your friends are safe.

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
sorry I have to call it
that was a dumb ass thing to do
a little stream is 10 feet wide?
turn around and head back buddy
especially with the ground so saturated, that's dumb, you're just ruining the trails then - we had major saturation and I resisted the urge to ride trails because I ddn't want to damage them
i went urban instead

LBguy

must get stronger!
Established Member
Vancouver83LTD said:
sorry I have to call it
that was a dumb ass thing to do
a little stream is 10 feet wide?
turn around and head back buddy
especially with the ground so saturated, that's dumb, you're just ruining the trails then - we had major saturation and I resisted the urge to ride trails because I ddn't want to damage them
i went urban instead
Maple Springs is usually ok to ride in the rain. The ground there handles the water really well and the uphill is all concrete fireroad except for those streams. Read the one from Dell's perspective here: http://socaltrailriders.org/articleMapleDell.htm

Adam, one of the ones who got there on time and started before Alan and I had been riding there 22 years and has ridden it countless times in the rain before, never before had it been like this. When I got to the first stream I had no idea how deep it was because the water was brownish (and I've never been to this trail). Figured since they had obviously started the ride and were up ahead that it was crossable. Live and learn I guess.

I'll get pics of the trail once the streams have some time to dry up to their normal size. Once that happens we're gonna go in there with equiptment and people to maybe find the 3 lost bikes.

Last edited:

Vancouver83LTD

Established Member
I live in vancouver everything soaks up rain water well, but with record rainfall i wasn't on the trails. A muddy stream? Dude, that's not good. and if he's been riding there for 22 years and hasn't seen it that bad shouldn't that be kind of a tip off?

bp03svt

Established Member
Damn man, it's good that you and your friends are alive. I kept waiting on your friend to fall in as I was reading. That was a close call! I'm glad you guys are OK.

LBguy

must get stronger!
Established Member
Looks like someone on another forum saw two of the bikes we lost. Gonna go back with equiptment on Saturday to try and get these two bikes back. The red and white one is obvious. The tire on the left belongs to one of the other bikes.

mtbinriver.jpg

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
That's crazy. How much $$ in bikes did you guys have to leave behind?

Glad to hear you're alright...

LBguy

must get stronger!
Established Member
ALMOST lost my bike (2300), that red and white one isn't too expensive (around 5 or 600), Alan's singlespeed was about 500ish with the upgraded fork, Adam's singlespeed I'm not sure of.
Vancouver83LTD said:
and if he's been riding there for 22 years and hasn't seen it that bad shouldn't that be kind of a tip off?
Go to the link on my first post (http://socaltrailriders.org/articles.htm) and read the ones from Maple Springs. I wasn't with Adam (the experienced one). Alan and I showed up late and the other three had started without us thinking we weren't coming. Neither Alan or I had ever been there. I figured if those three had crossed it somehow then we could to?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread