All you Chicago suburb guys

cdh027

Established Member
I'm looking for a reputable dyno tuner in the area. I installed a 2.80 with the predator pulley tune last fall and I definitely want it properly custom tuned this spring so I can be confident it's not running lean. Do any of you know a quality dyno shop that uses the predator software ?

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
There's a place in Schaumburg called "Speed Inc" that looks very good. I'm probably going to go there in the spring for a tune if I get a pulley. They support the Preditor and also do KB installs.

I've heard good things from the GM guys about them.

LS1SPEED

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Just drive to St. Louis ... have the Apten SC upgrade and tune :) that's my plan ...

SVTdubs

have you seen my baseball
Established Member
I have been to both speed inc and finish line performance in naperville. I ended up spending a ton of money for nothing and I finally got a clue and drove 5 hrs to STL to go to Apten. The preditor is junk, get a real custom dyno tune and do it right.

SVTdubs

Established Member
cdh027 you wouldnt be Kevin would you? If so, I talked to you on the phone a few weeks ago from IWU and Im from St. Charles, IL. If not, nevermind then

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Finish Line Performance :fm:

I ordered my Bassani X-Pipe from them. The young guy at the front desk was chatting it up with some 16 year old girl dressed like a hooker about getting mods done to her Cavalier or whatever. I was 30 mins late for my install, so they cancelled me. I told them traffic was horrid and I was coming from NW Indiana. This was my SECOND attempt at an appointment. I just took my X-pipe and left, I even offered to pay them more money to install it. Their hours SUCK - like 9-5 Monday through Friday if even that. The place is like a Fast and Furious ricer shop. F___ those guys, they pissed me off.

I don't know of any tuners ... but I do have a list of "good guys" from who I think is the best SF connector installer to the IRS bushing installer. I don't have the cards with me right now..

Mike

Last edited:

SVTdubs

Established Member
I have a local guy who does great work but cant tune a car or anything. Subframes, halfshafts, exhaust, everything but tuning he can do and do right, any time. He is very open. Pm me for his number. He is moving into a new shop in St. Charles, IL as we speek!

cdh027

Established Member
I just spoke with Speed Inc. in Schaumburg. They're telling me it's going to cost $500.00 to dyno tune my Cobra. I told them I already have the Predator and he said it's still $500.00. WTF ?

SVTdubs

Established Member
drive to STL and get it done for $350 and sell your preditor. You will make out even. Give me a call anytime 630-768-0761, I have a local guy who can do everything but tune. Drive to STL man, do it right

cdh027

Established Member
Eric, It looks like I might be leaning towards taking the roadtrip now after talking to them. It wont be until the spring though. It's really a shame that there are no reputable local tuners ??????

SVTdubs

Established Member
I know, I was in search forever to find one. After blowing so much money on dyno's after reburning the chip so many times because I wanted it perfect, I finally grew a brain and got it done right. Whenever you decide to make the trip, let me know if you want someone to tag along. Ill be more than happy to come with if my schedule allows. Put the preditor up for sale. I might actually take my car there with you if I decide to do some more work.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Originally posted by 00SVTdubs
I ended up spending a ton of money for nothing and I finally got a clue and drove 5 hrs to STL to go to Apten.

The only problem with that is for some of us it's a MUCH longer drive. It would probably be more than an 6 hour drive one way for me to get to St. Louis.

I once flew there in a small plane (Cessna 172) and it took 3.3 hours one way.

Isn't there a good shop in the Chicago area? You'd think there would be a few since it's a big city.

cdh027

Established Member
Jim, I feel the same way. I was going to keep throwing this thread to the top in hopes of snagging someone that knew of a good shop within a 100 mile radius. I really dont want to drive 5-6 hours for a tune, but I will take Eric's advice if we cant find somthing by spring. I guess a 5 hour drive is cheaper that $8,000 to $10,000 for a new mill.

tampaSVT'03

Established Member
Damn guy's, Guess I really need to move back to Elgin, reopen C&C Performance, buy a dynojet and get the Chicago area cars rockin!!!:rockon: Here in Tampa we have a bunch of shops, but only 1 I trust for tuning and that shop is in Orlando. Anyway, I am looking at Dynojets now and shop space but it sounds like I would be better off back "home" in the Chicago area...:shrug:

cdh027

Established Member
Get your ass back to Chi-town and get to tunnin'. :)

Seriously though, someone could make a killing here with a reputable shop.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
There's one other place that I heard might be good. It's a place called "ASSC Racing" in Lake Bluff, IL.

I thought about checking them out, but unfortunately, I've never bothered to follow up they don't have a Web site. It kind of worries me that they don't have one.

It's hard to take anyone seriously if they don't have a Web site these days. However, they did have a writeup in 5.0 magazine about a project called "Mondo Mustang" where they built up an old Fox with a supercharger (Link ). Who knows, they might be decent if we're lucky.

Here's their information if you want to give them a call:

ASSC Racing, Ltd.
29820 North Skokie Rd.
Lake Bluff, IL
(847) 473-4720

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
How about the place we had the dyno day in Chicago Ridge? I forget the name, but I thought they tuned. HJ16's buddy went there, I think. Hank, did your friend get his Buick tuned there?

SVTdubs

Established Member
High speed is what you are talking about.

My buddy and I are getting a shop up and running as we speek. It will be ready this summer but no dyno tuning. We are working on getting a dyno and will give discounts to people from this board, Ford or not. We are moving into a shop in St. Charles, IL and can do everything but tune. The dyno might take a few years but we will do subframes and everything that people have emailed me about and beat any price out there. I want to eventually get some software and have someone tune the cars but that will be an ongoing process.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Mike is a carb guy. Old school and good at what he does. He actually campaigns 2 cars, I forget what class he runs though.
He does all parts of the car except the electronic tuning. He can provide advice and information after a dyno for us but can't make any changes on his own. I was able to take advantage of the dyno because I had the Mafterburner and eFPC.
He had mentioned getting into tuning these over the winter, but I don't know if he's had time.

Dana

Users who are viewing this thread