All who have done the T-56 Conversion

Cannons

Established Member
Leave a post here for all of those with 99-01 Cobras that have done the T-56 Swap. The reason I am asking is Im wondering how much of the 03 Aluminum driveshaft slip yoke (Amount of shiney part) is sticking out of the trans. When the car is up in the air, if you let off the clutch you can see the driveshaft jump up and down a little. At the same time you hear some rattling. While you are in the car it sounds like slop in the transmission. I looked into a differential/Driveshaft spacer from Steeda, but it appears it only fits solid axles. I have also heard that carbon fiber driveshafts make all sounds go away. If the carbon Fiber ones slide inside the transmission tighter then that would solve the problem.

32V SVT

Established Member
I had a 99 Cobra that did this with the stock setup... Never could figure out what that "Thud" noise was when you let out the clutch.
I did install the D&D T56 kit hoping this would be another benefit of upgrading the driveline, and the Thud was still there...
I think some early Cobra IRS's just have this inherent problem. I now have an 03, and the noise is totally gone compared to the 99. Just my observation...

Cannons

Established Member
The SOUND seems to be the driveshaft moving up and down. The Transmission does not move, the differential does not move. There is also no reason that the driveshaft should bounce like that?

Cannons

Established Member
I went under my car and took some measurements on the 03 Cobra Stock aluminum driveshaft. From the tailshaft of the T-56 to the mounting ring on the differential there is 49". Mounting Surface on differential to the end of the yoke (where the shiney splined piece starts) 47". The driveshaft from U-joint to U-joint is 43 3/4". Its a bunch of worthless measurements but what I did see my driveshaft is going into the transmission 1 1/4" less than a stock 03 cobra. (Measured the amount of shiny yoke sticking out) The is always that ring where the rust starts and that tells me how far the shaft used to go into the stock 03. If my driveshaft is going into the transmission a inch and a quarter less than is should wouldnt this cause a slich clunk sound there?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread