All time lineup: MLB

02Toner

Established Member
In the wake of nothing new happening in the world of sports, I've seen some discussions regarding the best all time lineup. One game takes all, no DH. I'd be interested in seeing some teams.

I've picked some historic players, but I'm relatively young so I have some recency bias. I also believe newer players are much better all around athletes and are competing at a higher level, but that's a different discussion.

Here's my lineup:

1. Ichiro RF
2. Mike Trout CF
3. Barry Bonds LF
4. Albert Pujols 1B
5. Alex Rodriguez SS
6. Chipper Jones 3B
7. Ivan Rodriguez C
8. Roger Hornsby 2B
9. Bob Gibson SP

Closer: Mariano Rivera

Let's here what you guys think.

buffalosoldier

Established Member
What about Mark McGwire, he was a big hitter.
Todays baseball is more like batting practice with everyone swinging for the fence, the strategy and sportsmanship are ancient history.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

02Toner

Established Member
Okay Okay, we get it grandpa's. You are all the righteous gate keepers of the MLB golden rule book. I was just curious who you guys would love to see play together. I mean you think Ruth, Gehrig, Cy never took any "banned" substances? That's quite ignorant if you think so. Elite athletes have always and always will try to find a competitive edge. That's my opinion.

Big Mac was a masher, but I'd rather have prime Pujols, much better all around hitter, and way better defender.

Pre-steroid AROD is who I'd rather have honestly. Much more fluid defender and still 40HR pop.

Bonds, I'll give you guys that one. Pre-steroid Bonds was a stud for sure, but I could swap him out for someone like Stan Musial or Ken Griffey.

02Toner

Established Member
What about Mark McGwire, he was a big hitter.
Todays baseball is more like batting practice with everyone swinging for the fence, the strategy and sportsmanship are ancient history.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You are completely right. I do hate the HR or nothing attitude, it slows the game down and is boring to watch. But when pitchers are all throwing 100+ it's really hard to be a "placement" or singles hitter. So it's not entirely on the batters, they are just trying to do the most damage they can against these fireballers.

I also really hate the "we are all friends" mentality. I am a Cardinals fan through and through and hate the Cubs with a passion. I would love to see Flaherty or Martinez knock Bryant out of the batter's box for talking smack on STL, but unfortunately that's not the way it works anymore. I miss the hardcore rivalry for sure.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
I would tend to list players I grew up watching too but I think Babe Ruth and Ted Williams have to be in any all time lineup.

Users who are viewing this thread