Alignment Update

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
My '03 pulled to the right pretty badly. I wanted a few thousand miles on the suspension before having it adjusted to let it "settle in".

I also wanted to use a local aligment expert instead of the dealer's people. The local guy has years of experience with a 4 wheel alignment machine (utilizes on-wheel alignment "senders"). He also has racing setup experience.

It turns out that the rear right camber was too positive. The front right camber was also too positive, while the left front was too negative. He wasn't surprised that I was pulling to the right.

He said that oval track race cars are set this way to help navigate the constant left turns. Perhaps it helps to prevent oversteer?

Front caster was off just a little, but the stock caster/camber plate was able to compensate for it.

Toe was off at the right rear (too much).

Anyway, he brought the car into Ford's current specs, and my '03 has lost its pull to the right. It tracks great now on all kinds of banked road surfaces (left and right).

Here's a reprint of the current '03 alignment spec from the SVT people......

2003 Mustang Cobra
Alignment Specs

Front Camber -0.90 +/- 0.5 L&R
.50 side-to-side max for cross camber

Front Caster 3.20 +/- 0.75 L&R
.50 side-to-side max for cross caster

Front Toe 0.125 +/- .075 each side
Total Toe .25 +/- .15

Rear Camber -0.8 +/- 0.2 L&R
.4 side-to-side max for cross camber

Rear Toe 0.1 +/- .075 each side
Total Toe .20 +/- .15

No Rear Caster adjustment

:burnout:

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Thanks for the update - I too did not want the dealership boys to mess with my car. I wondered if a straight four wheel alignment would fix it or if it was something major that would need to be fixed. Looks like I will go your path as well.

riplightning

Established Member
I just took my car to the SVT Certified dealer's shop this morning with your alignment specs in hand.

This is my second trip for the alignment problem (pull to the right) hopefully they can fix it this time. If they can't, I guess I will take it to an alignment specialty shop like you did.

Thanks for the detailed information. I will post on my results.

riplightning

Established Member
OK, guys & gals here is the scoop on my pull to the right. I took it in to the dealer, this is the 2nd time (for a total of 10 days) and they tried the following things to correct the pull:

1. Realign to SVT Cobra Alignment specs as stated in the post above. Still pulled.

2. Did the adjustment to the rear strut tower braces and realigned per SVT Spec. Serv. Message. Still pulled.

3. Put new stock tires all the way around. Still pulled.

4. Put front tires and wheels from new Mustang GT on the Front of the Cobra. Still pulled. Although not quite as bad.

5. Put stock front tires and wheels back on and realigned with a 200 lb person sitting in the drivers seat. YES, Still pulled.

6. Took tires and wheels off and spun all the hubs. Found one wheel bearing that was not turning freely. (don't know which one yet) Replaced the defective wheel bearing. And this time guess what?

NO MORE PULL.

I want to thank the techs and Gordon at Joe Myers Ford here in Houston for all the dilegent and focused hard work.

I hope this information helps some of you that are having this problem and you won't have to go without your car for 2 weeks.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
WOW - looks like you got some good techs at your dealership that really know how to test and troubleshoot. You lucky dog, stay with those guys, and congrats on the fix. Aligning mine in a few hours, keep your fingers crossed for me that it is just a simple alignment problem.

riplightning

Established Member
DD2000GT,

I've got my fingers crossed.

I have read many posts about this subject. Some of the people with this problem have had it resolved with just an alignment.

Good luck!!

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Alignment done...tech adjusted as much as the stock camber plates would allow - definately within specs, still pulls to the right. Let me know which bearing it was so I can check. Thanks.

coleman

Established Member
since my car has a slight pull to the right, might this too be the culprit?
can one tell by simply turning the wheels with a jack? would it not turn as freely or does one need some tools?

blown03

Established Member
Riplightning,

Thanks for posting. I also have the notorious pull problem. I went to Helfman Ford and had it aligned but it didn't work. They really didn't seem intrested in trying to fix the problem.

I was kinda at a crossroads on wheather I wanted to go to another dealership, specialty shop or just leave it alone. I guess now I can go to Joe Myers and they will know exactly what to do.
Was Gorden your service guy?

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

riplightning

Established Member
Coleman,

I don't know if you need tools to tell if the bearing is bad. The way it was explained to me is that you could just turn it with your hand and if it didn't turn you would know.

Answer to question above,

Gordon was not my service guy, he is the service shop manager, ask for Joe (don't know his last name) he will be able to help. Tell him Bill Rippey w/the silver cobra sent you.

coleman

Established Member
ok, i'll just jack up the front end and see if both wheels spin equally as well...

Users who are viewing this thread