Alignment Blues

myrsvt

Established Member
Ok here's the deal.
Took the Cobra to Firestone for a long overdue alignment needed after lowering. I installed Hotchkis C/C plates prior and tires still good (no irregular wear yet).
Anticipating potential questions/problems...
I give them a piece of paper with the settings I wanted.
Camber -.7 degrees
Caster +4.5degrees
Toe In .12"
Also explained vehicle had been lowered and Adjustable C/C Plates had been installed.
Came back to pick the car up and they said it was good to go but they didn't quite get to 4.5 on caster. It was pouring down rain so I said ok and didn't really check anything out untill I got back home to the garage.
Pop the hood and check out the printout from Firestone and I've got
Camber -.7 Left Camber -.7 Right
Caster +2.5 Left Caster +1.8 Right
I look and there is still all kind of adjustment on the C/C Plates:nonono:

So I take it back and they say that's as good as we can get it because there is no caster adjustment on these Mustangs. So...I look at him and go:bash:
At that point I calmly say there is a caster adjustment on my Mustang and If you like I can show you guys how to adjust it.
And to this the sales guy takes great offense and say that is NOT necessary!

Anyway, already long story short, they agree to look at it again and again said they had the Caster adjusted as far as it would go.

So... I take the car home again, and in 15min. jack the front end, loosen the C/C bolts and knock back both strut tops back about an inch or more to the stops (plenty of adjustment left):mj:

That's where I'm at now. Guess I'll take it back AGAIN!

Long story I know, just had to VENT.
Always dissapointing when You know more than the "Professionals"

CzchMex

Established Member
Yeah. That happened to me with my camber. He said I needed camber bolts to correct it. Took it home and loosened my strut and created positive camber. Took it back and explained to the manager. Needless to say that mechanic doesn't work there anymore.

Chris.94GT

Established Member
Got into an argument with some alignment people after I lowered my car and did struts and mm c/c plates. Tech said not adjustable I said bullshit. Tried to set toe only and called it an alignment. Probably why they only charge 40 bucks, which I didn't get charged for.

CzchMex

Established Member
I got the lifetime one. Costs $110 but totally worth it. Have been in to get it aligned 4 times in the last 2 months. This is due to new bump steer. New shocks. New rims. Etc.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I got the lifetime one. Costs $110 but totally worth it. Have been in to get it aligned 4 times in the last 2 months. This is due to new bump steer. New shocks. New rims. Etc.

lol.

My brother bought lifetime shocks/struts and alignment for his 86GT that he bought new in 86 and still has.

They cringe when he drives up every year or so.

They have to update his invoice every now and then cause it is so old you can't read it.

myrsvt

Established Member
lol.

My brother bought lifetime shocks/struts and alignment for his 86GT that he bought new in 86 and still has.

They cringe when he drives up every year or so.

They have to update his invoice every now and then cause it is so old you can't read it.

That's hilarious!
I'm going back Friday and telling them I did the Impossable and got more caster!! And it took about 15min!!
Just a hassle
BTW they also left two bolts loose

Users who are viewing this thread