Alert: Check Your Rear Differential Fluid!!

cobra23

Established Member
So, 30K miles and three years so time to change the fuel filter. When I got under the car, I noticed that the rear differential cover was leaking from the bottom. It was a slight leak with no drops of oil ever showing on the garage floor. So I decided to check the fluid as I had no idea how long it had been leaking.

It was down half a quart which is around 20% of capacity. Never heard any noise or had any cornering issues. Plus, I don't know what the level was from the factory as I never checked it before

My advice, next time you get under the car check the level. You need a 3/8" drive extension on a flexible tip to get to the fill plug

Cobra 23

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Laxpaint5 said:
my is leaking for the fourth time and I have the IRS Brace now. How do you stop the leak. I never launch my car either.

The amount of time you were flexing and stretching your cover witout the brace on it possibly got it sufficiently out of shape to cause the constant leaking.

Brace can't cure the leak, but it does stop the stress and stretching.

These cars need a brace from mile 0.1

cobra23

Established Member
Decided to take the car in for the leak as I felt that it would not get any better. Dealer said they thought that the cover was warped so they ordered a new one. We'll see if it leaks when I get it back.

At least it is on record as having the problem

Cobra 23

Users who are viewing this thread