!!!!ALERT!!!!! Beware

operator1391

Established Member
I just got an email from paypal saying they needed my credit card info cause some one had tried to access my account and they gave me a pay pal link, well I went to the link and it gave me slots to fill out including credit card numbers and pins too, so then I got suspicious, I went to ebay then from there to paypal and the only thing I saw was on my account was a reminder that they were going to do maintenance on the site. I don't know but there might me a scam going around so be careful if you get paypal email alerts, just FYI

Last edited:

CobraMarkVIII

Established Member
Wow thanks for the heads up. I had an employee at a local Chillis try to steal my credit card last weekend. Shit is scary stuff. I saw her walking to her car after some time waiting for her to give me more than just the receipt. I had to chase her down. This event has me checking everything now more than ever.

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
yea i did the same thing, but when you go to the link its identical to paypal. this scared the sh** out of me

You can also look beside the email address and if it has a letter symbol with a key in front of it the domain key has been verified and it's legit. If not, don't risk it. This is through my Yahoo email and it's a useful tool for spotting bullshit emails.

operator1391

Established Member
You can also look beside the email address and if it has a letter symbol with a key in front of it the domain key has been verified and it's legit. If not, don't risk it. This is through my Yahoo email and it's a useful tool for spotting bullshit emails.

thanks ill start looking for that

AMNick

This is a fairly common type of scam for PayPal, Credit Card Companies, Your Bank, etc. If you get an email and you think it is legit, the best thing to do is call using the number on the back of your credit card, or in the case of PayPal or eBay type their website manually and use the CS number on their website. Basically never click a link out of an email and enter in any personal information on the resulting website period.

coild

Established Member
Good job not falling for that & thanks for the heads up.
I once got a call on my cell from PayPal verifying the recent $2200 charge to my account. I'm like... WTF??? Turns out someone hacked into my account and tried to use it. The guys at PayPal were right on the job checking it out and saved my ass. They reversed the charges and all was well. I was very impressed with their security system.

Cool thing is, the last charge to my PayPal account before that was the purchase of 'Powered By SVT' from Ebay. Great book!

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
I get that shit all the time. PayPal will address you with your name. Most of the scamming emails dont.

klarkent42

Man of Steel
Established Member
Dude, that's an old ass scam, at least a few years old.... Good thing you went to the Paypal website directly, cuz you would've been ****ed!

BlueSnake01

Established Member
+1 The E-mail's address most of the time have a whole different name. Same thing happen with my brother but with a BofA e-mail. Be careful out there :beer:

B-O-B'03

Established Member
This is a fairly common type of scam for PayPal, Credit Card Companies, Your Bank, etc. If you get an email and you think it is legit, the best thing to do is call using the number on the back of your credit card, or in the case of PayPal or eBay type their website manually and use the CS number on their website. Basically never click a link out of an email and enter in any personal information on the resulting website period.

Actually,

I always go to those web sites and diligently fill out the forms, with bogus information... it kinda relieves the stress :D

BTW, my email is [email protected]

-Brian

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
you can also look at the URL of the linked site or hit reply to the email and you will see that it is not official paypal at all.

and of course, just as you did by going into paypal's actual website, by typing the URL in directly, you can see that there was no information needed from you.

i used to get these every now and then when i was more active on ebay. most people are hip to this now but you should definitely inform not-so-computer savvy people like your parents/women/etc..

mwilliams84

Established Member
I have gotten one of those emails. It made me nervous bc I have already had someone buy $200 worth of iTunes off my card but luckily was reimbursed.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Also always check for a SSL security certificate. Paypal uses verisign.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Right click on the email and select "View Source".

This gives you the email W/O graphics.

Look for any "http" text and you can see where they're actually sending you. I've cut/pasted some of the URL's for fun, just to see what the site really is.

openaccount

Established Member
Paypal has even stated that they WILL NEVER send an email out asking for your information EVER.

Any email like this is a scam. I would not have even clicked on the site. Now your IP address is logged on their website. If they are skilled hackers thats all they really need if you use paypal from that computer or if you by anything else online on it.

Beware of credit cards though. Check with your bank how many accounts you have in your name. I only ever had one card but had 3 accounts in my name. 1 was created RANDOMLY so my card had two different numbers that linked to the same account and the other was an EXPIRED CARD NUMBER which in reality NEVER EXPIRES. I even tried it with my expired card and it still okayed an online purchase.

I am now cash only with the occasional debit if I have to.

Users who are viewing this thread