Alcohol/Water Injection Q&A

squiggy333

before i start, i drive a wrangler... seriously planning on a terminator within the next 6 months...

about water/meth inj.:

i heard it can strip oil from the cyl walls? is this true? any other lube issues?

does anyone with a steig port have water/meth? what numbers are you getting? before and after dyno would be great!

as i understand water/meth is a hardecore mod, and needs to be fully understood. I have been told its only for the strip. is it ok for a DD?
should water/meth be run on a multi-tune system part time, or is it safe to run full time on a DD.

thanks all! I have been looking everywhere for these answers for about 2 months now...

Ultimate CC

Established Member
viperstang said:
how does it work?
Alcohol Injection is basically like having an extra injector. Instead of fuel it injects water or alcohol or methanol or a combo of the mixtures. By doing this you are one cooling the intake charge (installs typically 6 inches from TB) and two your are increasing the octane (with 100% methanols its nearly c16 depending on amount spraying). By doing this you can then increase timing quite a bit safely and have virtually zero knock. You can also run more boost safely. To give you and idea of what it can do, on my evo8 I run 22psi with 93oct and the car traps about 110. On methanol I run 28psi and the car traps 115-116. The car does not knock at all on methanol whereas on pump it does occasionally. The other benefit since it cools the intake charge my car runs nearly the same times no matter how hot or cold it is outside...

Ultimate CC

Established Member
squiggy333 said:
before i start, i drive a wrangler... seriously planning on a terminator within the next 6 months...

about water/meth inj.:

i heard it can strip oil from the cyl walls? is this true? any other lube issues?

does anyone with a steig port have water/meth? what numbers are you getting? before and after dyno would be great!

as i understand water/meth is a hardecore mod, and needs to be fully understood. I have been told its only for the strip. is it ok for a DD?
should water/meth be run on a multi-tune system part time, or is it safe to run full time on a DD.

thanks all! I have been looking everywhere for these answers for about 2 months now...
100% methanol is very corrosive and will corrode any aluminum parts, so the solution is to run a mixture of methanol and water that way it takes away from the corrosive properties. There is no reason not to run methanol in your DD, I drive my evo day in and day out and my methanol map is always on the car even though I can switch between 5 maps on the fly. The evo has seen more than 55 gallons so far this year. Let me know if you have any further questions or need things clarified.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
From all the tuners I have Talked to. They just dont see any gains On the Eatons, Whipples and KB's. However Nice Gains on the Centri, and Turbo Cars.

50/50 Meth and distilled water. Non corrosive

MichaelPlummer

Established Member
type911 said:
From all the tuners I have Talked to. They just dont see any gains On the Eatons, Whipples and KB's. However Nice Gains on the Centri, and Turbo Cars.
Actually the reason being is the install setup. On setups with a positive displacement blower is to install the nozzle after the throttle plate with an electric solenoid.

See ya
Michael Plummer

Ultimate CC

Established Member
MichaelPlummer said:
Actually the reason being is the install setup. On setups with a positive displacement blower is to install the nozzle after the throttle plate with an electric solenoid.

See ya
Michael Plummer
+1 to that...

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
01cobravortech said:
Meth/Water injection just sounds like overkill man. It becomes another tank you have to make sure isn't low. PITA.

Its not like you go through that mutch. Mine stays full for a month. Plus its an added safety measure. Im running 21 degrees on 9.85:1 CR with 11.5 psi. Before I had detonation at 18 degrees. So Now I run 21 and No det.

squiggy333

no gains for TS/roots?

no power gains for a positive displacement blower? is this because its hard (access) to inject after the intercooler? shouldn't the meth at least let you play with timing?

so water/meth is worthless on a terminator?

now i am more confused...:shrug:

Ultimate CC

Established Member
The issue is the mounting, you have to mount it after the SC and before the TB which makes for a slightly difficult install on the stock eaton...it can be done though. You will still see gains because of the ability to add more timing safely...please correct me if I am wrong, I will be doing one of these installs on my brothers 04 cobra this winter and will have dyno results and what not...

scv8

Sideways SVT Poster
Established Member
squiggy333 said:
so water/meth is worthless on a terminator?

Correct. You can reach MBT on a Terminator or Lightning on 93 octane alone. Also, it has no effect on IAT2, in our particular application. You have to add timing and lean the AFR, just to get the power back to where it was without the alky.

paulmeetsmark

32V Symphony
Established Member
my buddy uses washer fluid...that the same as what you guys are talking about? washer fluid is alcohol/water i believe.
He uses it in his boost cooler, sound right?

Ultimate CC

Established Member
washer fluid is normally 90% water unless you are in a state where there is bad winters and then at most it is about 40% alcohol...there are much less gains seen from water injection...

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
The reason it doesn't do much on the 03/04 Cobras and Lightnings is because when the water/methanol hits the hot IC fins it basically negates the cooling effects. On a non positive-displacement blower/turbo application the cool intake charge doesn't hit any real interference with hot engine parts. Not to mention, you're compressing the air in a hot blower AFTER you've cooled the charge initially, so it just warms it back up basically. To really feel the effects, you'de wanna inject it after the IC in the lower manifold.

WDW MKR

Established Member
The real showstopper for the Eaton-equipped cars is the biggest benefits seen with alky injection aren't needed. We can already run MBT on pump gas. Any timing added above that does nothing. We can already run max boost on pump gas, as anything much over 16-17psig on an Eaton is just creating a little more torque and a shitload of heat.

I still think it will have benefits on twin screw cars when injected into the bottom of the lower intake, like what Lidio does. The KB and Whipple cars generally only run 18-20* on pump gas.

The gains are generally better in a turbo or centri application. I had years of success running in on my GN. If I ever take the plunge and spend the money and time required to really make an F1A rip on these cars, you can bet it will have methanol injection.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread