Airbag issue

brian3724

Established Member
My airbag light has been flashing and beeping for awhile now so I finally took it into Ford and they are telling me that I need a new clock spring and a new airbag. They say that they no longer carry the parts though so I'm going to have to track these parts down as my Cobra is all original and I need the real Ford part. I think they gave me the wrong part numbers though and just wanted to check with you guys. For the clock spring they gave me f3zz14a664a and the airbag part number they gave me was f3zz61043b13c. I think he must have given me a bad digit or two. Also, can I still use my current airbag cover and just transfer the new parts to the back of it? I doubt I'll be able to find any in good shape. Thanks!

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
i doubt you need a airbag, i never seen one go bad. if the clock spring is bad its their computer is not gonna read the airbag, so just get the clockspring. The clockspring is behind your steering wheel, its the part that allows your airbag to go round and round with the steering wheel and still be electrically connected. basically a ribbon cable that rolls and unrolls as you turn the wheel. try a salvage yard, or maybe online , you have to remove the airbag, then your wheel, then a clip and unhook the wire to change it.

Last edited:

johnh

Established Member
I would replace the clock spring and if the light still on then I would pull the bulb. I wouldn't want that 20 year old air bag going off anyways.

brian3724

Established Member
Thanks, do any of you have the part number for the clock spring? I found a few on eBay, but the part doesn't match what the Ford guy gave me.

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
not sure about the f3zz part but the 14A664a is correct on the spring, sometimes the part number and the engineering number on the part arent the same , i can look at one sunday or monday and report back what number is on it.

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
looks like its F3ZC not F3ZZ , there ar at least 3 on ebay right now

here is one
93 Mustang Air Bag Clock Spring | eBay

!B6m2B7g!mk~$(KGrHqJ,!lcEy+jC)GB)BM)620dUDw~~_1.JPG

robertlyons

Established Member
I would replace the clock spring and if the light still on then I would pull the bulb. I wouldn't want that 20 year old air bag going off anyways.

Pulling the bulb is a bad idea. The airbag controller will then beep out the code that the airbag light is currently doing. That gets old is about 5 seconds. Disconnecting the controller (which is behind the stereo) is what you need to do. Also, what is the code the bulb is flashing? If I remember, mine is flashing 5-3, which is the most minor warning, which says the controller's backup battery is bad.

brian3724

Established Member
Thanks, I found 3 on eBay, all of which supposedly are coming off 93 mustangs. However, 2 of them end with AB and one ends with AA. Was on of these for the Cobra and one for a GT maybe?

buddha93

Established Member
The clock springs are 93' specific and at times a bitch to find.

I purchased a spare for one of my cars, and the original was an AB part, as is the spare.

cobr96

getting old
Established Member
Remember when I said the number on the part is not always the same as the part number? Get the seller to send pics of the connectors and make sore they match, as the connector is the only difference. Did the light just come on one day? Or after some work? Make sure no one unplugged the connection under the dash.

speed3198

BEWARE the Jabberwocky!!
Established Member
Make sure the clock spring is taped in place so that it doesnt spin! It has to be in the right spot or when you put everything back together and turn the wheel fully to either side it will break.

brian3724

Established Member
I'll let the Ford guys know about the tape. It started a few months ago buzzing three times, then eventually it would stop. After a month or so it quit beeping but the light was still flashing in the dash. Now the light isn't coming on but it started beeping again.

brian3724

Established Member
I'm not sure what the code is. I'm pretty sure it's always been just three beeps then a short break until it repeats. I ordered the part on eBay, so hopefully it fixes the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread