Airaid

Brickell gt500

Established Member
Can you use a airaid filter to replace a jlt big air filter? I like the blue color of the airaid. I noticed the airaid doesn't have a screen like the stock and the jlt has. Is this a issue or not?

Thanks

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
If you have a JLT 123mm or 127MM intake you can't use a Airaid filter you have to buy a S&B filter. and the screen calms the air before it hits the MAF.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
If you have a JLT 123mm or 127MM intake you can't use a Airaid filter you have to buy a S&B filter. and the screen calms the air before it hits the MAF.
Are you saying Airaid doesn't make a (5" x 9") filter that will fit, or that a screen is required?

Snoopy49

Established Member
I think the screen is there to break up the turbulence caused by the air from ram air tube striking the base of the air cleaner at a right angle. Some people have even built small deflector shields to keep the air from directly impacting the filter. I don't think Ford would have gone to the extra expense of adding the screen if they didn't think it was necessary.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Are you saying Airaid doesn't make a (5" x 9") filter that will fit, or that a screen is required?

It has been awhile since I have looked at anything from Airaid but last I checked they didn't make a filter big enough for the 123 or 127MM intakes, I could be wrong, and the screen isn't a necessity but it helps a lot with driveability. I use a blue S&B filter on my 127MM intake, it's a dry filter also. There 50 bucks.

Brickell gt500

Established Member
Thanks for the info. I am cleaning my jlt right now and wanted to see if I could use stock /airaid filter while the jlt (123mm) dried. Strangest thing is the stock filter opening is far too large for the jlt. Really unexpected. Waiting for the filter to dry now. Thanks again.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
It has been awhile since I have looked at anything from Airaid but last I checked they didn't make a filter big enough for the 123 or 127MM intakes, I could be wrong, and the screen isn't a necessity but it helps a lot with driveability. I use a blue S&B filter on my 127MM intake, it's a dry filter also. There 50 bucks.
Got it. Thanks.

To be clear, I don't have any experience with JLT's 123mm or 127mm intakes. If I read the online product guide correctly, however, they take a 5"x9" filter and I THINK Airaid makes something in that size.

Strangest thing is the stock filter opening is far too large for the jlt. Really unexpected.
Interesting. That's definitely not what I expected either. Good for those upgrading their intakes to know, though.

Users who are viewing this thread