AirAid SynthaMax no-oil filter into K&N FIPK2

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
I have had a K&N FIPK2 on my 2004 SVT Cobra for about 5 years now and it has worked very well and has not been replaced in that time. However, the cleaning and oiling process was always something i had looked for an alternative to. I wanted to keep the heat shield so instead of getting a 4" billet MAF adapter with a powerstack filter, i began looking for non-oil applications. David at AirAid posted about their new SynthaMax filters and all of the benefits of a non-oiled filter. After reading his post about the SynthaMax filters i was in contact with him to compare sizes of the K&N filter that came with the FIPK2 to some of his available sizes to see if they had a filter that would be a direct swap. Luckily enough, after some researching, David PM'd me back and gave me part number 701-469. this is a 6"Flg, 7 1/4" B, 5" T, 9" L.
Airaid1.jpg

I went ahead and ordered the filter from David, here's what arrived
Airaid2.jpg

Immediately i took notice of the quality that Airaid puts into their product, it's very well put together.
This is the K&N FIPK2 filter that i've been running in the vehicle.
Airaid3.jpg

My Cobra has 32K miles and this was installed at approximately 14K miles. It was cleaned & oiled 600 miles prior to this photo, as i did it just before driving from Lubbock, TX. to Houston, TX. The oil, which i did very lightly, still got onto the MAF and caused issues that a can of electrical parts cleaner fixed for me. Oil on the MAF causes surging, rough idling, and slow throttle response when driving. With a no oil filter you don't worry about this.
Here is a comparison of both filters side by side, you can see the AirAid filter is taller and wider
Airaid4.jpg

Up close picture of the AirAid SynthaMax filter installed
Airaid5.jpg

Full engine bay shot after install
Airaid6.jpg

If you are considering a non-oiled filter, this is a gem. It fits perfectly with the FIPK2 heat shield and is slightly larger so you can't go wrong. shoot David@Airaid a PM and he can get you taken care of
-Tony

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Found your thread while googling for info on Airaid's no oil filters. How has it been holding up? Any power loss or gains noticed on they dyno? What about when you pull the filter off and look on the inside? do you see any signs of dirt coming through?

20redfire03

Established Member
I installed the airraid filter in my K/N fipk as well and Ive noticed nothing negative. It was a tight fit getting it in but i was being careful to limit any scratches but once its mounted to the flange on the intake just tighten it down and go.

Users who are viewing this thread