Airaid Intake with MVT - SCT Tune for Stock Intake?

YELL03

Established Member
I dyno'd my son's 2005 GT last week, stock except for Muffler deletes, it made 276rwhp SAE.

I wanted to get him a little more power, so I ordered him a Airaid Intake and a SCT Tuner.

My buddy Dale at Axcelerated Motorsports is going to dynotune it in 2 weeks, but for now I wanted to install a canned tune.

Yesterday I installed the Airaid with the MVT inserted since the SCT Xcal3 does not have an option for the Airaid intake.

I figured if the Airaid is meant to work on a car with no tune it must read the same as a stock airbox, so I loaded the 93 Octane strategy tune for a stock intake. It ran great, but the idle was really low. I didn't bother doing the idle relearn process.

This morning I did some reasearch and saw that the C&L street cai runs with no tune also, so I adjusted the options and loaded the C&L street tune and lowered the octane rating to 91, no dice, it cranked, but it would not start.

So, I reflashed it back to the stock airbox and left it on 91 octane, I want a little protection if the cold air leans it out a bit.

Now, it wouldn't start because the battery died.

So, I rolled it and popped the clutch and started it.
Then I did the idle relearn process and my son drove it the required 10 miles.

He then took it to Pep Boys and they tested the battery and it is fine.

The question is, Is the 91 Octane Strategy Tune for the Stock Airbox what I want to run with the Airaid with the MVT inserted?

night rider

Established Member
Hi Yello3. I had the same problem. I have the Airaid racer cai.( no insert ) with a 94 custom tune and sct tuner. It did not have a strategy tune for the Airaid. Hade to get a custom tune for it. That insert is meant for stock only. Take that insert out and get a custom or even better a dyno tune. Much better throttle response 25+rwhp nice intake sond. On 94 it runs like a bat outta hell.

YELL03

Established Member
Hi Yello3. I had the same problem. I have the Airaid racer cai.( no insert ) with a 94 custom tune and sct tuner. It did not have a strategy tune for the Airaid. Hade to get a custom tune for it. That insert is meant for stock only. Take that insert out and get a custom or even better a dyno tune. Much better throttle response 25+rwhp nice intake sond. On 94 it runs like a bat outta hell.

Thanks for the response

I initially bought the intake so that if there was ever a need to turn it back to stock, it would still run without me changing the intake back to stock. So, today the battery was dead, it was yesterday also. I changed out the battery, did the idle relearn, and the car still was idling like sh-t with the sct tune and airaid. I than changed the tune back to stock, now the car is idling better, but it also is not making as much power. I am going to call SCT tomorrow and see if they have a tune I can use specifically for the Airaid with or without the MVT.

I agree, it definitely needs a custom/dyno tune specifically for the Airaid to run perfectly.

YELL03

Established Member
I called SCT, Airaid, and Autoanything today to see what can be done. The verdict.... Keep the MVT in the Airaid, set the tune for Stock Airbox, this will be great for now. Then I can have it dyno-tuned for the Airaid with and without the MVT or order Bamatunes for both set-ups.

YELL03

Established Member
Loaded the 93 octane tune for stock airbox, bumped the idle up from 740 to 790, did the idle relearn, did not even have to drive the full 10 miles, the car is perfect. No more hunting idle.

Much snappier throttle response without the lag.

Power is smooth and feels like it picked up a bit.

My son is happy.

Users who are viewing this thread