Air Traffic Controllers READ

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
The other day I posted a thread about wanting to seek new employment.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/road-side-pub-17/609468-sick-tired.html

Well somebody recently struck a cord with me. I have always been curious about Air Traffic Control or some type of Aviation type of employment. I know that I have the determination and motivation to learn and actually perform well on a job of that magnitude. BUT I don't even know where to begin? I was looking at the FAA website and there is so much information I am confused.

The truth is, I want somewhat the easy way in. I don't have a college degree.(I want one but can't right now - I make the money in the house) Is there a way to get hired with an airline or somebody who will send me to school and train me in this field? I know the military is always an option, but I refuse to serve under the current administration. Anybody that could chime in on what I need to do? I am willing to make sacrifices such as relocation and salary for the time being until I am out of training or school?

Thanks In advanced guys!(or gals)

jokerwylde

Established Member
I have a family friend that's been a controller for 20ish years now, and recently suggested that I look into it as well. Here's what I understand so far:

You don't have to have a degree to apply, although there is a 4 year degree available at some universities. Essentially, you wait until there's a Trainee opening, and you put in your application. They set you up for an aptitude test, and you need a certain score to move on, which I want to say is an 80. Once you pass the test, and they accept you, you get sent to Oklahoma City for your initial training (I want to say around 6 weeks, but I'm not positive). After that I assume you look for job placement.

One thing to keep in mind is that during training you make a salary of about 17k, which doubles once you begin actual employment, and can increase as you complete further training. It's a federal job, so you get the benefits and all that.

USAJOBS - Search Jobs is the website where they post openings, you search for Air Traffic Controller, and you'd have to find a Trainee position open, unless you have prior experience. Some postings will say open to the public, which would be you I assume (what I'm looking for, too), and others will only be open to graduates of the college program. For what it's worth, my friend told me that the last class he trained was almost entirely made up of non-graduates.

As far as I know, this is the only way they really hire controllers, not sure about other aviation jobs.

Jack32v

Slow Lane..
Established Member
Any health problems?? you will need to get a physical and pass the medical. I am not sure what "class" you need for ATC maybe a Class 2. I just keep my class 1 that way I don't have to worry about it. I know they are hiring pretty big and the money is pretty good. Look around at your local JR colleges I know you dont live in CA but MT.SAC and Cypress College both offer Aviation classes that you can take, what I am getting at is you can get some of the classes at a two year college. Also its a very HIGH STRESS job so be prepared for that.
Do you have any experience flying aircraft? I would suggest going to a local FBO and taking a couple flights, talk to your instructor about getting clearance to go up and visit the tower during operational hours (If flying at a controlled airport) .... that way you can see if ATC is a job that you might be actually interested in before investing to much time into it. Also you will have to pass some sort of aptitude test and other training ect.

Last edited:

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
By chance are you the same guy I already talked to? Im thinking yes but Beer is good.

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
I have a family friend that's been a controller for 20ish years now, and recently suggested that I look into it as well. Here's what I understand so far:

You don't have to have a degree to apply, although there is a 4 year degree available at some universities. Essentially, you wait until there's a Trainee opening, and you put in your application. They set you up for an aptitude test, and you need a certain score to move on, which I want to say is an 80. Once you pass the test, and they accept you, you get sent to Oklahoma City for your initial training (I want to say around 6 weeks, but I'm not positive). After that I assume you look for job placement.

One thing to keep in mind is that during training you make a salary of about 17k, which doubles once you begin actual employment, and can increase as you complete further training. It's a federal job, so you get the benefits and all that.

USAJOBS - Search Jobs is the website where they post openings, you search for Air Traffic Controller, and you'd have to find a Trainee position open, unless you have prior experience. Some postings will say open to the public, which would be you I assume (what I'm looking for, too), and others will only be open to graduates of the college program. For what it's worth, my friend told me that the last class he trained was almost entirely made up of non-graduates.

As far as I know, this is the only way they really hire controllers, not sure about other aviation jobs.

Yea, I saw the salary break down. That is really weak and almost not worth it, but in the long run it pays off.

Any health problems?? you will need to get a physical and pass the medical. I am not sure what "class" you need for ATC maybe a Class 2. I just keep my class 1 that way I don't have to worry about it. I know they are hiring pretty big and the money is pretty good. Look around at your local JR colleges I know you dont live in CA but MT.SAC and Cypress College both offer Aviation classes that you can take, what I am getting at is you can get some of the classes at a two year college. Also its a very HIGH STRESS job so be prepared for that.
Do you have any experience flying aircraft? I would suggest going to a local FBO and taking a couple flights, talk to your instructor about getting clearance to go up and visit the tower during operational hours (If flying at a controlled airport) .... that way you can see if ATC is a job that you might be actually interested in before investing to much time into it. Also you will have to pass some sort of aptitude test and other training ect.

No major health problems, I did see the medical test the run and perform. The only thing I am concerned about is my eye sight. I think my eye sight is worse by the day due to computers. You also provide some good points that I will look into doing!

PM Sharkbite1979

I will - leaving work now!

ravage

The Prick's on the Inside
Established Member
Need to take the AT-SAT. Do a search for some info to prepare. Create a profile on USA Jobs.gov and applicants with no experience or degree are accepted. I did it all back in 2006.

noahsark2012

4V 500rwhp club
Established Member
make sure you have good depth perception, and vision correctable to 20/40 I believe.

I was going to go in the military back in 2000, and I wanted to do ATC, but they wouldn't let me due to the fact I had no depth perception, and bad vision, like 20/400 or something like that, and I didn't end up going.

it's also a high stress job, so make sure you can handle lot's of stress.

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
make sure you have good depth perception, and vision correctable to 20/40 I believe.

I was going to go in the military back in 2000, and I wanted to do ATC, but they wouldn't let me due to the fact I had no depth perception, and bad vision, like 20/400 or something like that, and I didn't end up going.

it's also a high stress job, so make sure you can handle lot's of stress.

I work in a dealership service department, granted lives aren't on the line but we see some stress!

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
By chance are you the same guy I already talked to? Im thinking yes but Beer is good.

I don't think I have talked to you about it yet??

Here you go bud, Just a little taste. Marine Corps as ATC for 8 years if you have any questions PM me I will see what I can do for you.
Top 50 Air Traffic Control Audio Streams | LiveATC.net
Thank You, quite interesting. I was listening to JFK and heard some other languages... I have the hardest times with foreign languages! Do you enjoy your job? Would it be worth joining the military for ATC? I test really high when it comes to the ACT/SAT and when I was a freshman in High School I scored an 86 on the practice AsFAb(??) test for the Airforce. I would probably look into going into OTC instead of enlisted If I did choose the military.

Need to take the AT-SAT. Do a search for some info to prepare. Create a profile on USA Jobs.gov and applicants with no experience or degree are accepted. I did it all back in 2006.
I may look into getting some material to help me with this test before hand. Also, I am making an application tonight.

focussvtracer

auto x
Established Member
Ok I work for the FAA I'm in Okc for training if you think there's an easy way in your wrong without being an atc in the military your chances of getting hired are slim base pay for off the street controllers is 20k while in Okc. Your not qualified for the job it's not an easy job

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
I work in an air traffic control center. Sometimes they do "street highers" were no experience or schooling is necessary... just an apptitude test. It is a hard job, but it is definitely not as stressful as people make it out to be trust me, lol. It can be stressful at times, but it aint like it is in the movies.
Were I work in NY controllers bank over 100k a year easily.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
My girlfriends aunt works IT for the FAA. She said right now they're hiring off the street, at least in this area I guess.

ravage

The Prick's on the Inside
Established Member
Ok I work for the FAA I'm in Okc for training if you think there's an easy way in your wrong without being an atc in the military your chances of getting hired are slim base pay for off the street controllers is 20k while in Okc. Your not qualified for the job it's not an easy job

With the staffing and hiring crisis the FAA is going through now military personnel is not what the hiring is limited to. In my class at OKC 3 of the 18 were military, 3 CTI and 12 off the street. Base pay does suck at around 20k w/ per diem. Training is the most stressful part of the job. Once you are finished, the stress is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member

What makes me not qualified? Please explain? Did you go to school or did you just join the military for the position? I could easily obtain a 4 year degree IF I wasn't too busy handling other responsibilities in my life. AND I could also easily enter the military well qualified for ATC training but am trying to eliminate that possibility. As plenty have stated, you can be hired from the streets at this moment.

Users who are viewing this thread