Air suspension/adj ride and drag racing....

badmpg03

Established Member
Gents -

Is there an air system where I can push a button from inside the car and raise/lower ride height as needed? Is air suspension the only way to go? Anyone have experience if these hold up with some drag abuse/high HP?

I already have crappy ground clearance with big headers but I would like to drop it a little more (1/2"-3/4"). Not totally slam it, but take some wheel gap out. And then something I can raise height as needed in parking lots or rough roads.

Also as mentioned the car is being built now to be at the track quiet a bit. How do these suspensions hold up? In a perfect world would like to be able to fit 28" tires with IRS and then throw on the street tires and not look like a 4x4.
Anyone doing this currently?
Thanks for any help.

pic for reference

Attachments

• Sun.png
    Sun.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 129

Soap

Established Member
A much better option is to get a set of coil overs. You can screw with your ride height all you want and they would work MUCH better than air ride suspension for drag racing. Air suspension is not ideal at all for drag racing so if you say "the car is being built now to be at the track quiet a bit" I would put the right suspension parts in it to start.

--Joe

keith89

Established Member
Ride tech rear air bags and airlift performance front air struts. They are adjustable and are adequate for drag/road course as you just need adjustable shocks in the rear to have a completely adjustable suspension. Also, if you approach a speed bump or steep driveway with air suspension you can just press a button to raise and lower.

for drag racing. you can lower rear air spring pressure for more squat and get adjustable shocks to suit the track conditions. I lost quite a bit of weight going with air supension and with the compressor in the back of the car, a slight weight distribution shift.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
A much better option is to get a set of coil overs. You can screw with your ride height all you want and they would work MUCH better than air ride suspension for drag racing. Air suspension is not ideal at all for drag racing so if you say "the car is being built now to be at the track quiet a bit" I would put the right suspension parts in it to start.

--Joe
This is the way I would go if you want to race.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

keith89

Established Member
I just noticed OP is in Houston. I'm assuming the roads are much better than up here in NJ/NY. In that case, I would recommend coil overs as well unless he encounters a lot of speed bumps and steep driveways.

badmpg03

Established Member

--Joe

I don’t disagree but does nothing for me if I can’t adjust it on the fly. If there are no options that are suitable I will go with traditional suspension.

badmpg03

Established Member
I just noticed OP is in Houston. I'm assuming the roads are much better than up here in NJ/NY. In that case, I would recommend coil overs as well unless he encounters a lot of speed bumps and steep driveways.

As said above traditional coils will be last resort, but I agree with you guys. I’m just trying to see if there is someone out there drag racing on air suspension.

badmpg03

Established Member
Ride tech rear air bags and airlift performance front air struts. They are adjustable and are adequate for drag/road course as you just need adjustable shocks in the rear to have a completely adjustable suspension. Also, if you approach a speed bump or steep driveway with air suspension you can just press a button to raise and lower.

for drag racing. you can lower rear air spring pressure for more squat and get adjustable shocks to suit the track conditions. I lost quite a bit of weight going with air supension and with the compressor in the back of the car, a slight weight distribution shift.

Thanks for response, really like the sound of this. Do you have some experience running what you said above?
I am not out to pull every last drop of performance out of car, but would like to break into 9’s with a 6 speed and slicks. I should have power to do it (800-850 whp)

keith89

Established Member
Thanks for response, really like the sound of this. Do you have some experience running what you said above?
I am not out to pull every last drop of performance out of car, but would like to break into 9’s with a 6 speed and slicks. I should have power to do it (800-850 whp)
Yes, ive had h&r race springs and the fully adjustable air suspension handles and rides better. Ive had my fair share of criticism for trying it because people tend to relate air suspension to the older boaty cars. The air suspension on my cobra is compliant but firm. I may swap out to a mm kmember and control arms down the line. A lot of weight came off the front of thr car by losing the coil spring and strut and replacing them with an air strut(air bag on the strut).

Users who are viewing this thread