Air Silencer

2003snake

Established Member
I talked to a 03 owner that made a comment that he thought his car didn't run as well without it.

Your thoughts on the matter?

PS. no mods (other than hood and PRO 50) done yet

J.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
One reason I have NOT removed my silencer is that I am concerned with introducing turbulence into the air stream. Having worked in automotive engineering for many years, I know the compromises made by engineers, but they did consider smooth air flow over the whole range of engine speed. Several posters have reported little or no gain removing the silencer.

cobra racing

Established Member
We Dynoed a bone stock 03 with 3000 km's, it pulled 368rwhp stock and pulled the air intake and left it to atmosphere, it made 384 rwhp, A 16hp gain and sounded awesome, I will post the video replay tonight if I get a chance. :beer:

mm49

Established Member
Originally posted by 2003snake
It's outta there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J

Who cares about air turbulence when you sucking 15#s of boost...:-D

Get that thing out !!

Cobra'03

Established Member
It varies from car to car - the silencer works on the principles of Helmholtz physics - tuning the resonance can actually let more air in over most of the range. In Volvo hi-po engines like the T5 for example, removing the resonator actually causes a drop in the low to mid torque, while peak HP goes up a tiny bit. For practical purposes, it would be better in that case to leave it in.

For the Cibras, it has been established that it has to go.

Users who are viewing this thread