Air Rifle suggestions for squirrel defense?

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
Hello everyone. Ever since my wife and I moved in to out house 3 years ago (in city limits) we've had a HORRIBLE problem with squirrels. Recently I caught one trying to chew on the siding of our house. We also have 4 huge walnut trees in our back yard, and at this time of year the walnuts are producing heavily. This draws in even more squirrels. They are making a huge mess on our new concrete patio, and even dropping the walnuts on our roof. Sounds like war outside. If I could get away with the 12ga in the city, I wouldn't be posting this :)

Anyway, it's time to purchase a air rifle and start having fun! I have been looking for a couple weeks now at what to get, but just can't decide. I've been to both Dick's Sporting Goods, and Bass Pro, and there is so many options, and the employees at both stores really couldn't recommend one over another.

All I've ever owned in the past was a .177 caliber one, but I know see they have .22 caliber ones. I saw Walmart had a ruler .22 air rifle, but thought I would post here just to see what you all said or could advise.

Thanks!

Bearbo

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sadist. Poor little Rocky the Squirrel. You could borrow my Yorkie. He gives the squirrels he'll. Sure the steel eyed killers of SVTP will want to know if you are looking to kill or shoo away.

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
Just get a stupid fast (1000fps+) .177 caliber and go to town. That will do amazing things to squirrels.

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
Sadist. Poor little Rocky the Squirrel. You could borrow my Yorkie. He gives the squirrels he'll. Sure the steel eyed killers of SVTP will want to know if you are looking to kill or shoo away.

Definitely looking to kill! I want them completely gone!

97ReoCobra

Established Member
Be careful. In some municipalities you will get more jail time for cruelty to animals than for holding up a mini mart. Having said that, if I were to do a bit of pest control I would break out my Crosman American Classic.

Crosman-American-Classic-Pump-Air-Pistol-.177.jpg

jbs$

Established Member
In my neighborhood I have given up on being subtle, I was being over run with the little beast. I went to .12 ga, 7 1/2 shot and have reduced the population by 23 over the last ten days. Note! I have an up walk way so I can always shoot them toward the ground.

There are five Hawks, three Coopers and two Red Tails who take care of the carcass removal.

Last edited:

jbs$

Established Member
On your city issue, get a .177 rifle, much more accurate. What you really want to do is gut shoot them and have them die elsewhere. Disposing of dead squirrels, in the city, is sometimes an issue.

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
On your city issue, get a .177 rifle, much more accurate. What you really want to do is gut shoot them and have them die elsewhere. Disposing of dead squirrels, in the city, is sometimes an issue.
we have a farm right outside of town. I was planning on pitching them in a 5gallon bucket and going and dumping them.

MFE

Established Member
Better check your state and local ordinances about how far you have to be from a road or dwelling to use a firearm before committing to something involving powder. And, some areas consider BB/pellet guns to be "firearms" :rolleyes:

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Buy some steel #110 traps. Bait with celery and peanut butter out of reach of things like dogs and cats. Best bet is to pin a couple nails to a tree and hang the trap from it. The squirrel will climb up the tree for it.

It is a clean kill, never had one that looked like it suffered even remotely... cleanly catches them right behind the head with enough force to wreck your fingers. Never lost my bait, the ones I bought come with tethers so that predators can't run off with them.

It is far more effective than sitting around waiting with gun in hand. Get a half dozen, set them and check them regularly. Dump and reset as needed.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I ****ing hate squirrels and I work them with the .177 regularly. I've had vultures sitting on my back fence give me a head nod when I came out. We have a very good working relationship. Do not fall for the fluffy tail bullshit, they're nothing more than nasty rats. No mercy!

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
So Crosman .177 Pellet rifle (with a de-pinger), then find cover and/or a ghillie suit if you feel lucky.
Are you in Lawrence proper? I'd imagine they'd be much tougher than Wichita, and we cannot legally fire any weapons here.

Last edited:

o2gt

Established Member
years ago we had squirrels that carried some type of tree killing virus in their feet. So my parents commissioned me to take them out. I picked up a simple co2 powered repeating pellet gun. I t think it was a crossman. Had an 8 shot rotary magazine. it was not super hi powered, but it did the job each time. don't need much to kill them humanly and effectively.

Paul.

Established Member
Poor squirrels. I feed the rock squirrels on the mountain behind my house. They're just trying to live the squirrel dream like anything else.

Troponin

Established Member
I keep a Big Cat 1250fps air rifle by the back door for possum, squirrels and armadillos. Amazingly, this sucker will penetrate 'dillo armor and still make a clean heart/lung kill shot. It's extremely accurate too. I make perfect head shots on possum at 25 yards away with ease. The scope that it comes with isn't great, but it works well enough to make 50 yard shots or less with decent accuracy.

If you dry fire it, it's quite loud. With .177 caliber pellets, it's not horribly loud. Def does not sound like a gun going off, basically just the sound of the spring popping.

http://www.gamousa.com/product.aspx?productID=399

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread