Air Ride

bullitt3350

Established Member
Does anyone have air ride on there lightning

please post pics of the setup. Im about to pull the trigger on the Air ride tech 4 link kit

pitstain

I love appetizer samplers
Established Member
The 4-link kit is a very nice one, I ended up building my own 3-link rear suspension with a watts linkage, but the drop will be about the same. I reccomend getting the shockwaves with internal sensors, and buy the airpod setup, it will make install a snap.

**EDIT** here is my build thread. http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=15816

3607844663_57ce3ee638_b.jpg

3607991392_b7b6537933_b.jpg

3608650838_4de681791f_b.jpg

Usual ride height:

3608173950_8bfc82b116_b.jpg

Last edited:

pitstain

Established Member
What wheels are those?

The wheels are 3 piece ZE Forged wheels Boze Alloys - Custom billet wheels and forged wheels

that kit will get the job done, but the street challenge kit 97-03 F-150 Street Challenge Package: Air Ride Technologies - Ridetech.com
will add on double adjustable shocks, which are great to have as they can be adjusted for everything from smooth street comfort to open track to drag racing, AND the street challenge kit also includes the AIRPOD setup and the LEVELPRO option which give you exact one touch ride hieght control which more accurately reaches your preset height within 1/4" or less.

when you call tell them Ian Schwartz sent you and to hook you up, they will either laugh and make fun of me (LOL) or give you a free hat and maybe even a tiny discount if your nice.

With the AIRPOD setup all the plumbing for the pumps, tanks, pressure sensors, and solenoids is already built and tested, which makes the install take about 18 hours less time.

I cannot also say strongly enough how AMAZING their customer service is, I had a little mishap on the NJ turnpike that required replacement parts so I could make it to Carlisle all Ford nationals, and they had parts to me the next morning by 9am !!

I have NEVER -- EVER -- dealt with a company with better service than AirRide.

you can hit me on AIM if you want to talk at length about this as well, just click the little link in my sig. :beer:

Ian

Last edited:

svtjackal

OMG look at Olivia
Established Member
I have been thinking about a air ride set up, but I am a little scared of all the cutting and welding, I wish there was a bolt on kit for our trucks

pitstain

Established Member

svtjackal

OMG look at Olivia
Established Member
how about the bed? any cutting to clear the c-notch?

if not then I might be name dropping you Ian with the folks at air ride so I can get the cool hat:D

I called Air ride about 2 years ago asking about a bolt on kit and they told me that they didn't had any true bolt on kit for our trucks.

maybe the little bit of cuting it's not consider a true bolt on.:shrug:

Last edited:

pitstain

Established Member
how abuot the bed? any cutting to clear the c-notch

if not then I might be name dropping you Ian with the folks at air ride so I can get the cool hat:D

I called Air ride about 2 years ago asking about a bolt on kit and they told me that they didn't had any true bolt on kit for our trucks.

maybe the little bit of cuting it's not consider a true bolt on.:shrug:

No cutting the bed, but you can confirm with AirRide.

Yeah for the fact you have to cut for the notch and drill a few holes, it would not be considered a true bolt on, but in the Lighning work as long as there is no welding or forklifts required I would call it a bolt in install.

If you do order, name drop all you want, and also PM me and we can discuss any questions you may have.

I would also go with a upside down hellwig rear swaybar too, it will make the install a breeze and work much better with the 4 link.

lightningonbags

Established Member
It all depends on how low you want to go. To be where Ian is you don't need to cut the bed but if you want tolay out on the ground(like mine and sdaf) you will need to cut the bed. I will attach a few pics of my truck so you can compare.

P.S. Ian, I never seen those pics of your truck before. Your truck is tits.

svtjackal

OMG look at Olivia
Established Member
It all depends on how low you want to go. To be where Ian is you don't need to cut the bed but if you want tolay out on the ground(like mine and sdaf) you will need to cut the bed. I will attach a few pics of my truck so you can compare.

I don't want it to lay, and I don't want to cut the bed.

Also, to install the air ride kit do I have to take off the bed? I have a tiny garage and taking the bed off would be a PITA since I don't have a place to store it and I don't think this is a one day job,

pitstain

Established Member
I don't want it to lay, and I don't want to cut the bed.

Also, to install the air ride kit do I have to take off the bed? I have a tiny garage and taking the bed off would be a PITA since I don't have a place to store it and I don't think this is a one day job,

Ok, well it would make things easier to take off the bed, but if you could at least lift it up and get some 4x4blocks of wood under it, and slide it back a few inches you should be good to go for the install.

How much does the bed weigh?

Well two people can lift it off, but just barely, and you'll probably drop it (ask me how I know LOL) 4 peeps will have no trouble with the bed, I think it weighs maybe 250-300 pounds.

pitstain

Established Member

Fo sheezy man, that sucker tucks :beer: between you and sdaf I was convinced a layed out L was going to be cool. And thanks for the compliment it is much appreciated. :-D

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Air Ride Tech has awesome customer service!! I used their products on my old Sonoma, and its really quality stuff. The only thing i didnt like was how slow their air setup is. I used their big red valves, but they were only quarter inch ID so they were SLOW. I ended up switching over to 1/2" GC valves, and never looked back!! Think they were cheaper too.

pitstain

Established Member
Air Ride Tech has awesome customer service!! I used their products on my old Sonoma, and its really quality stuff. The only thing i didnt like was how slow their air setup is. I used their big red valves, but they were only quarter inch ID so they were SLOW. I ended up switching over to 1/2" GC valves, and never looked back!! Think they were cheaper too.

I'll let the guys from AirRide comment on the valve size/speed topic.

You have a couple of options (both listed below will handle inflate and deflate for all four corners independently):

1/4" valves:
RidePRO 4-way Solenoid block: Air Ride Technologies - Ridetech.com

3/8" valves:
4- way Big Red airvalve: Air Ride Technologies - Ridetech.com

Our valves are not slower than a comparable sized valve from anyone else. Face it, a 3/8" orifice is a 3/8" hole no matter whose valves you run.

If you currently have 1/2" valves then, yes, both our options will be slower. However, they will also be much more precise.

Our main goal is not speed, it's accuracy. We want to get to ride height within 1/8" each and every time. You set the alignment at ride height, so you need to go to that height to drive. If you don't you could prematurely wear the front tires.

Lager valves are more difficult to control as more air is flowing. We have found 1/4" valves suit 90% of our vehicles; we use 3/8" valves on larger cars (like my 1966 Lincoln Continental Convertible); and we never use 1/2" valves as they are too difficult to control.

I can tell you that our valves are built by a major pneumatics company in the US to our specs for use in automobiles. They are built in the States to the highest quality and standards as required by the DOT. Our valves have been tested and approved by the US military for use in a vehicle equipped with air suspension.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Pitstain, I hope i didnt come across as knocking their valves at all, they were flawless!! VERY high quality, VERY dependable, easy to install, especially as a manifold, i just wanted fast. The overall quality of all the parts

pitstain

Established Member
Pitstain, I hope i didnt come across as knocking their valves at all, they were flawless!! VERY high quality, VERY dependable, easy to install, especially as a manifold, i just wanted fast. The overall quality of all the parts

No, not al all man, my purpose of those quotes was moreso to explain to any potential "baggers" of the difference and relationship between a fast air suspension and an accurate, albeit slower one.

I have all ridepro 1/4" stuff, and my truck lifts and lowers in a very slow controlled, and, well stealthy manner, with the tonneau closed you barely even hear the whoosh of the dump port. On the other hand I was lucky enough to meet Chris (Chris03HD) the other weekend at a mod party, and his truck, a work of art I must add has 1/2" valves and POPS up and down like a gopher bash thing at a carnival, he did admit though that it was very difficult to control and sometimes took a few tries to get to a near exact height.

Here's a shot of Chris's truck.....:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

3627052399_b76f095237_b.jpg

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Both yours, and your buddys truck look SICK!! With the 1/2" valves, i ran a speed control muffler on the dumps, so it was quieter and i could adjust the drop speed exactly how i wanted it.

Users who are viewing this thread