Air lift performance kit mod

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I used to have Ford lowering springs as my setup, but after seeing quite a few other guys cars with Eibachs and such I was left wishing my car were sitting lower. However, I was already scraping the front getting in and out of my own driveway so going to even better lowering springs was pretty much out of the question. Then I saw gallopingford's post of his vert with an air lift performance kit and I had the answer to my problems. I could go lower, and lift up to get in and out of my driveway. Bonus round!
I talked to a buddy named Mike Danner who has a twin turbo 5.0 that is beyond sweet, I found that he has done many an install including his own show winning truck that was in a magazine. I had been looking for a recommendation but instead found my answer. He essentially did the install in a day and I'm pretty damn happy with the outcome. The kit is pretty much plug and play with only two holes for air lines needing to be drilled right by the rear shock tower. I asked him for an unusual install and he was able to make it happen. If you are standing at the rear of my car and open the trunk you can't see the install unless you lean down and look up under the rear deck. It's an unusual location and in a few months we are going to check the tank for water and if there's an issue we've already talked about a mounting solution.
Beyond that I can raise and lower the car at will, the ride is pretty stellar. I'm still adjusting the dampeners but the ride is considerably better than with the lowering springs and bilstein shocks. Before the car was pulled all over the road with the lightest of bumps and now the car is easier to handle and considerably more comfortable. I need to make some more adjustments to my lca's but the car seems to handle better with minimal body roll. My setup is still evolving, but I'm already better off than I was and I expect the ride and traction to get even better as I get more dialed in.
The only cons I have with the system are the noise of the compressor and how long it takes to refill the tank. Not much I can do about the noise, but there are upgrades to the compressor and even dual compressor kits. I will probably do something about the compressor before too long.

Here are some pics -

My old ride height with the Ford lowering springs -
20130928_102818_zps8c6e5f02.jpg

New ride height (experimental)-
20140303_085805_zps0hpkhcb2.jpg

Slammed front view-
2014-03-20_08-59-54_HDR_zps912vv3wc.jpg

Slammed rear view-
2014-03-20_08-58-59_HDR_zpsktmgfn1e.jpg

Tank and compressor mount -
2014-03-24_14-37-38_HDR_zpshgnluf4s.jpg

2014-03-24_14-39-58_HDR_zpspjvixhe2.jpg

This is the angle of my lca at my new ride height. I'm going to drop it to the bottom -
20140314_173222_zps6tbd2kaf.jpg

Obligatory purty picture before I removed scoops and louvers-
DSC_0135-1_zps964ca1a3.jpg

Mike hooked me up and said he is more than willing to work with anyone. He got the parts and did the labor and I was out the door for less than the list price of the digital kit. He took me for a ride in his twin turbo 12 and made me think 13-6 in a big way. That will have to wait though, the next mod is MPSS and TF concave wheels! I'll have some better pics to replace these soon.

Sigus

Established Member
Excellent install, Where is Mike located? Is this a kit that can be purchased or separate items.

I have the FRPP springs and am not satisfied with the drop or the ride.

Many thanks for posting this solution. And what is the digital one you mentioned?

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Very nice! Congrats. :beer:

How many times can you raise it to enter your driveway before you have to refill the tank?

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Excellent install, Where is Mike located? Is this a kit that can be purchased or separate items.

I have the FRPP springs and am not satisfied with the drop or the ride.

Many thanks for posting this solution. And what is the digital one you mentioned?
Mike is here in Charleston, SC. You can purchase separate parts, front kit, rear kit, or the full kit. The digital version has a controller with a lcd screen. It allows manual operation but also has 8 presets. If you don't have teeth scraping issues in a place you normally go, you could look at sportlines as a lower solution than the FRPP springs. I would have done that but I was already dragging teeth in and out of my driveway. The ride is much better, considerably less bounce. There's an area on the highway near my house that would create like a harmonic in the car and it would just bounce annoyingly. I haven't been able to hum through the area at speed, but at the speed limit it seemed like the bounce was almost non existent. I was very happy about that. I got the digital combo kit.
Ford Mustang Performance Air Suspension Air Ride Kits | Air Lift Performance
Very nice! Congrats. :beer:

How many times can you raise it to enter your driveway before you have to refill the tank?
Raising it up to the top drops the tank pressure about 40 psi, and at my set point that requires a top off. Moving up, one rung on the ladder so to speak, from some of my lower pressures doesn't require a top off. I don't lift it from ride height very often..my driveway, my mom's driveway picking up my son, and worrisome speed bumps.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Raising it up to the top drops the tank pressure about 40 psi, and at my set point that requires a top off. Moving up, one rung on the ladder so to speak, from some of my lower pressures doesn't require a top off. I don't lift it from ride height very often..my driveway, my mom's driveway picking up my son, and worrisome speed bumps.

So you have to fill it up every time you leave your house. Not a big deal I'm sure. I was just curious.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Very cool if you are into that kind of thing, I just don't like the slammed look plus the compressor adds weight lol

Ky GT500

Established Member
Hey Zen,,,,,, car looks really clean without the scoops and louvers, nice job!! :beer:

Last edited:

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Very cool if you are into that kind of thing, I just don't like the slammed look plus the compressor adds weight lol
Up until I got this car I hated the lowered look, I don't know what happened to that. Air lift claims the system is better for the track than coilovers. I'd be interested what somebody who has a lot of track experience would think of the system. There is a fitting to fill the tank from an external source if the compressor ever went bad or got taken out for a track day. ;-)

Hey Zen,,,,,, car looks really clean without the scoops and louvers, nice job!! :beer:
You know it's your fault right? I wasn't kidding when I said I liked how good your car looks. After you come down to Charleston again it'll probably be your fault that I call Van and go all 13-6. I think you and Mike should get together for a run, you have similar power numbers at his current boost level (I think).

Ky GT500

Established Member
You know it's your fault right? I wasn't kidding when I said I liked how good your car looks. After you come down to Charleston again it'll probably be your fault that I call Van and go all 13-6. I think you and Mike should get together for a run, you have similar power numbers at his current boost level (I think).

Sounds good,,,,still haven't heard about the memorial yet.

Need to get up with raustin too,,,get the SGM together. :coolman:

Get me in trouble trying to school Mike!!:rockon:

Need to get the side splitters man!!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I do need some splitters no doubt. Be careful with Mike, he's got tires and you need to get off them Goodyears before you come down here.

Ky GT500

Established Member
I do need some splitters no doubt. Be careful with Mike, he's got tires and you need to get off them Goodyears before you come down here.

I'll either have MPSS on or borrow Slowponycar's MT Streets.

MPSS going on after Charlotte , mid April. Wouldn't dream of trying him without tires.

Sigus

Established Member
Mike is here in Charleston, SC. You can purchase separate parts, front kit, rear kit, or the full kit. The digital version has a controller with a lcd screen. It allows manual operation but also has 8 presets. If you don't have teeth scraping issues in a place you normally go, you could look at sportlines as a lower solution than the FRPP springs. I would have done that but I was already dragging teeth in and out of my driveway. The ride is much better, considerably less bounce. There's an area on the highway near my house that would create like a harmonic in the car and it would just bounce annoyingly. I haven't been able to hum through the area at speed, but at the speed limit it seemed like the bounce was almost non existent. I was very happy about that. I got the digital combo kit.
Ford Mustang Performance Air Suspension Air Ride Kits | Air Lift Performance

Thanks for the Information!

Sig

Users who are viewing this thread