Air intake

BRIMSTONE

I was told that the strange black box that comes out from the air intake pipe (before the throttle body), is to reduce the noise level of the 00 R. Is this true? If that's the case, I think we could fabricate a mandrel bent power pipe and do away with that box. What do you guys think?

RickyRacer

Had one on a previous car('95 VR-4) and removed it and plugged the hole. Much better sound(louder - more rumble) plus seemingly quicker spool up. I've been wanting to do it to the 'R' as well. You pushed me over the edge - I'll try and get it done this week. Just need to obtain another suitable black rubber stopper...

'00 R
'01 L

kevin

will doing this add rear wheel torgue? if so, how much do ya think?

i have the bassani exhaust on my car and it's loud enough for the street, so i don't need more sound. but i'll do it if it gives me more usable power.

kevin.#22,#41,#80

RickyRacer

Kevin - I doubt it would add any more torque or hp for that matter. But, I'd say the torque curve ramps up quicker in the RPM range because it doesn't have to repopulate the baffle with air continually, not to mention the airflow disruption it might cause...

'00 R, CBR929, YZF426
'01 Silver Lightning
'02 Explorer V8 on the way for the wife...

RickyRacer

Hey Brian -

I've been keepin' real busy in 2001 - let's see...

Between getting married in April, moving into a new house in May and adopting a dog(Ridgeback) in June there hasn't been much time(or money) for my toys. Except for Sunday motocrosses w/the boys and the daily commute on the sportbike, my R has been sittin' in the garage alot. Should be gettin' up to Reno Aug 2-5 for Hot August Nights w/her though. Should be a fun drive. Alway's fun to walk away from yester-year's muscle cars as you hit second gear!

Keep the wheels on the ground...

-Rick

Andy M

Established Member
I had some time to kill this afternoon and was searching the archives of our forum, waaaay back when the forum was new...and I found this one.

Has anyone done this mod?, and if so, what were the results?? sound alot louder, power increase, increased throttle response??

Just curious?

BillsSnake

Earlier this year I was at the Sebring Steeda Camp watching a friend do the twisty turnies and spoke to several Ford engineers. After alot of "hummmmmm's" they came to the conclusion that the funny little black box was a noise supression device, nothing more. :lol: :lol: :lol: :bash:

Users who are viewing this thread