Air Intake Questions

Bolt99SVT

missin' the screams...
Established Member
Hey,

I have a '98 CSVT that is basically stock except for a couple "cheapy" mufflers welded to the back.

I'm curious about your thoughts on air intake set-ups. I have heard the KKM Tru-Rev kit is a nice set-up. But I've been thinking about just getting a MAF adapter and K&N Open Air Filter. I've been told if I go that route, the K&N Filter is #RU-3530. Is this the right one?? The flange opening diameter on this is 3.75" ....My lazy azz still has to measure:p, but I didn't think the opening was that big.:shrug:

I'm just looking for something cheap and simple to give a little more performance and sound. I don't wana do anything like upgrading MAF to a bigger size or anything...

Anyways, what do you guys think??

Thanks,:beer:
Frank

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
MAF adapter and the KN and be done with it. KKM was the thing back in the day until the maf adapter cam out.

brapple

Established Member
MAF adapter and the KN and be done with it. KKM was the thing back in the day until the maf adapter cam out.

the KKM uses a maf adaptor. the KKM is a reverse cone filter which somehave said they have seen implode. I know one person that ended up blocking off the inverse cone part and by the seat of the pants the car made more power.

kkm vs K&N in sound is about the same. either way get or make a heatshield if you use one.

Bolt99SVT

missin' the screams...
Established Member
Cool thanx for the advice.

Does anyone know if all SVT Contours have the same size MAF stock??:shrug:

I did some Google searching on specs and found that the '98 E0s have a 70mm MAF, but I couldn't find much on the E1s ...so I'm assuming they are same size.
I was just curious because if they are different, then I was gonna ask if the size of the MAF adapter matters??:poke:

Thanks,
Frank

brapple

Established Member
no contour had a 70mm maf ..... or at least I don't think it was 70mm. if it was why would people in th epast upgrade to a pro-m or pro-flow(what ever it was called) 70mm maf?

bottom line all V6 contour/cougar mafs are the same. yes the size of the adaptor matters. it has to be the same size as the openning in the maf.

Bolt99SVT

missin' the screams...
Established Member
no contour had a 70mm maf ..... or at least I don't think it was 70mm. if it was why would people in th epast upgrade to a pro-m or pro-flow(what ever it was called) 70mm maf?

bottom line all V6 contour/cougar mafs are the same. yes the size of the adaptor matters. it has to be the same size as the openning in the maf.

I had a feeling they are all the same size, but just wanted to make sure since I hear about so many people upgrading the MAF.

I don't know how reliable these specs are, they were written in 2002....but here is the link to the site where I saw the "70mm MAF" on the '98 E0s...
STUFF.to Experience: 1998 Ford Contour SVT Specs

^^^Scroll down to see the chart with engine specs, and the MAF is listed near the TB and exhaust.

*The distance between the bottom 2 bolts on my MAF is 3.5" ...Does anybody know what "mm" size the hole would be?
...or I am gonna get yelled at again for not unbolting and measuring myself??:D

Thanks,
Frank

Users who are viewing this thread