Air intake for supercharger help

cbrown9064

Established Member
Got the car running with the blower, and have started to dial in the MAF transfer. That Novi 2k is awesome!

Trying to figure out what yo do for the air intake. My first step was to get a AFM powerpipe. I had the bungs cut off and welded shut when I had my BOV flange and MAF flange welded in. So far so good.

Of course the hood wouldn't close and I am reticent to cut the hood. Yes, I know our cars are not going to be collectors, but it seems wrong to have to cut the hood when proper fab work should do the trick.

So, I decided to see if I could heat up and beat a little crease in the power pipe. With that thin wall pipe, that was a fiasco and now have a "restrctor pipe" that is causing me to lose 5psi of boost. And the hood still doesn't close.

i am going to cut out the smashed portion and start fabbing some pipe. Any ideas on how to get this to work without cutting the hood? Any parts lists others have used?

BTW, 1st and second gears are now totally useless! :) Once that big old blower starts making boost, the rears just light up. Still cool here (in the mid 50s), so the tires cannot get grip. A hot summer day will help.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Well for one, inside the right front fender like Vortech does it, with the air filter and MAF meter mounted by a bracket just forward of the fender liner.

cbrown9064

Established Member
Sorry for not being descriptive enough, I am blow through.

I had a Anderson Ford powerpipe, but destroyed it trying to get it to clear the hood without notching. I am now going to cut the power pipe up, using the section through the fender to hang the air filter (no MAF) and using a 4" 45, cutting and modifying to see what works. Will report back.

BOTTLEFED5

booost+spray= me
Established Member
Is the blower mounted in the stock spot? There's no reason the hood should not close with the anderson power pipe unless it was angled wrong

cbrown9064

Established Member
Is the blower mounted in the stock spot? There's no reason the hood should not close with the anderson power pipe unless it was angled wrong

Yep blower in stock spot. The directions from Anderson say you have to notch the hood, and it definitely did not clear. I would post the photos of where I "modified" the Powerpipe with a hammer, but I don't want you all to die of laughter.

So far, for future searchers, here is the recipe...

4" (remember this is a Novi 2k) silicone 90 elbow off blower.
4" 45 degree pipe. I will post a picture to give perspective tomorrow.
4" 45 degree silicone coupler
remainder of AFM Power Pipe AF-0110A through the fender. This points straight down with a 4" cone filter.

Since I already had the Power Pipe and I ruined it (I got over wasting $250), I just cut the OK end off and will use that.

However, you could make your own with a piece of straight 4" pipe and another 4" 45 welded together. Or, a piece of straight with another 45 degree coupler and a short piece of straight 4" to hook the filter on to.

LDC2335

Established Member
Mine didn't close either, then I got a different silicone elbow and adjusted the angle till I got it just right. It closes now.

cbrown9064

Established Member
Mine didn't close either, then I got a different silicone elbow and adjusted the angle till I got it just right. It closes now.

LDC, I couldn't get it to go. It wouldn't "twist" down far enough and still go through the fender. Seems it was one or the other. That Novi mounts a little higher it seems than a Vortech...

LDC2335

Established Member
Maybe then stick with the stock paxton inlet and get your extra boost from a smaller pulley. Lol. Good luck.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I had to notch out my stock hood also. I had to cut the powerpipe shorter on the filter end then i went to advance auto and found a filter that would work. I'm blow through too. If it helps, the notch cannot be seen because of the hood blanket.

cbrown9064

Established Member
OK, got it done tonight. Here is the "recipe" for future searches. This is for a Novi 2000 in a 1996 Cobra.

-90 4" silicone boot. Trim a little off on the the blower side.
-4" 45 degree pipe. Cut it short on one side so the bend is right above the upper radiator hose, and short enough on the other side to just stay in the engine bay.
-45 4" silicone boot. If the 4" 45 aluminum pipe is laying on the radiator hose, putting this 45 on will make the angle "straight and level" through the hole in the fender.
-90 4" boot or 4" 90 aluminum. I would have preferred another chunk of aluminum, but did not have one. So the only thing I used from the Anderson Powerpipe was the 90 degree rubber boot. I had some left over sections of 4" straight, and make a couple 3" long pieces to go in either end of the 90 rubber boot. One side plugs in to the 45 silicone sticking through the fender and the air filter plugs on the other end. I did end up making it symmetrical, after I took the picture. This 90 degree boot was supposed to go on the blower, but I already had that covered. You can see hoe a piece of 4" 90 degree pipe would work and look nicer.
-7-4" t bolt clamps.
-9" cone filter from eBay.

You also have to grind down the passenger side upper radiator bracket agouti 1/2" to clear the pipe. You may not have to do this on a Vortech.

I don't know what you think, but I thnk it turned out good! Like my catch can? I used Goodyear Insta-grip TC and Fragola black AN fittings on the valve cover vents, IAC line and cavuum line to BOV. Think it looks trick.

Chris

image.jpg1_zps4giq0n3i.jpg

image.jpg2_zpshhgx6ekc.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsgwqibvsw.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread