Air Force

Ronias

Established Member
Hey guys, I am considering joining the air force. And I had a couple questions and if anyone has any answers or input on their air force exp that would be great. thanks.

Can You got to a college while in the air force, such as sdsu and get a bachelors?

Do you pick a base and get stationed there for 4 years or do you get to travel?

ryans01

Vacation in Iraq
Established Member
yes you can go to college while in and you can try to pick your base. good luck getting it though. i put all over seas and east cost and got stuck in idaho.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Hey guys, I am considering joining the air force. And I had a couple questions and if anyone has any answers or input on their air force exp that would be great. thanks.

Can You got to a college while in the air force, such as sdsu and get a bachelors?

Do you pick a base and get stationed there for 4 years or do you get to travel?

• Can you go to college? Yes.
  • SDSU? Depends if you're stationed near there, and they have a schedule that can conform to your undeployed work schedule.
  • Pick a base? You pick a list of bases and order them by the order of preference. It's relatively rare for you to get lucky enough to get your first, second or third choice. You will have a better chance of getting it, if you have an MOS (job classification) that is in demand all across the different bases. Don't forget: The USAF's needs are WELL above yours.
  • Stationed for 4 years or travel? Usually both. Especially in the country's current situation, you will likely be part of a rotation to spell those that are already in what is considered remote assignments. Not to mention other situations that would send you up for other kinds of TDY (temporary duty). Don't forget, even if you are just a clerk, they have uses for them all across the world, too. If you become an air crew member or a flightline worker, many, many TDYs are pretty much guaranteed.
I got out in 1996, so if someone that has a fresher recollection, or if some of the stuff I mentioned has changed, just let the kid know.

Good luck.

Ronias

Established Member
Thanks for the input. Iam currently in my second year at community college and can transfer to sdsu but Iam thinkin join Air Force since they are willing to pay for my last two years of college so I can get my bachelors and I can see parts of the world and gain some military experience at the same time. As far as deployment. Are you saying I could be assigned to a base do a semester of school then get sent to kazikstan or something for few months. get sent back to home base go to school for another semester then ship again. thats not so bad. right?

Sir Charles

East meets West
Established Member
Most supervisors will allow you to take classes once your Upgrade Training is completed. Tuition Assistance is at 100% plus you can get the GI Bill.

Sir Charles

East meets West
Established Member
The AF is converting a lot of the physical training to be similar to Army training since the AF and Army have been working a lot together for the past several years.

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
^ well that and i could go on and on about how when the army and air force security forces work together in country, we usually run things. ESPECIALLY when it comes to convoy OPS and personnel security.

we even have 3-4 prior army guys that came to AF SF......mainly because of the mentality of army infantry guys. ( in general)

myersusaf

Go Hawks!
Established Member
I heard they issue you a vagina when you join the air force...

Not really, while we do have a lot of vaginas in the AF, so does every branch. However we have some guys that are pretty hardcore. PJ's, CCT, TACP. they are all pretty tough mofos!

And to the earlier question about assignments, i have picked 2 out of 4 of my assignments as my first choice and got them. The other 2 were good assignments as well. Be open minded about where you get stationed if you come in, and DONT go back home, try to get outside the US. You will always be able to go back home when you are done. Some people hate every place that they go but i think the just adopt a general attitude about their current base that it sucks. people love to bitch. There is no truer statement than "the grass is always greener on the other side"

send me a PM if you have more questions.

Sir Charles

East meets West
Established Member
Every assignment is what you make out of it. Get out and enjoy the local culture whether it is Stateside or Overseas. I knew 3 guys stationed in Germany for 3 years and not once did they ever leave the base and they said "They hated their assignments". I just think of all of the opportunities they missed by being small minded.

myersusaf

Go Hawks!
Established Member
Every assignment is what you make out of it. Get out and enjoy the local culture whether it is Stateside or Overseas. I knew 3 guys stationed in Germany for 3 years and not once did they ever leave the base and they said "They hated their assignments". I just think of all of the opportunities they missed by being small minded.

Exactly , when i go TDY to Ramstein it is like being back in the states, 5-10 fast food restaurants, Chilis , Jr rockers. It is rediculous to think that someone would stay on base there. I like being in belgium, small base and mixed in with the local culture.

Sir Charles

East meets West
Established Member
Germany, Belgium, The Netherlands, Luxembourg and other surrounding European countries where excellent. I enjoyed my 7 years being stationed in USAFE.

DaveHutch

Bullets and Cars n stuff
Established Member
Walk a mile in my shoes.:nonono:

what do you do?

SF? they are wanting to send a few of us to pre-ranger schools....and then if we pass to ranger and jump school..

for what....im not sure. maybe a few of the next deployments are going to be more hands on than convoy ops. who knows.

Grey03Cobra

Established Member
what do you do?

SF? they are wanting to send a few of us to pre-ranger schools....and then if we pass to ranger and jump school..

for what....im not sure. maybe a few of the next deployments are going to be more hands on than convoy ops. who knows.

I'm in Intelligence. I've spent a majority of my career in Special Ops (AFSOC, JSOC)

I did Airborne school in Jan 2000, and pre ranger at Bragg in 2001.

Users who are viewing this thread