air filter housing end plate problem

theDRIVER

Literally haulin' ass
Established Member
i was taking off the bbk cai off my car and was reinstalling the stock air filter housing w/"snorkel". but there seems to be a problem with the end plate to the air filter housing, which bolts directly to the MAF. there's a good size gap between the end plate and the MAF. i know this isn't right, or am i wrong?

these are the pictures of the gap and the end plate for the air filter housing. is this the correct end plate for a stock 98' cobra air filter housing? part #f6zx-9a628-ab. the weird thing about this end plate is the location of the 4 bolts and the angle that it puts on the end plate. and there's a tab (circled) that's on the "backside".

DSCN0406a.jpg

DSCN0409a.jpg

DSCN0410a.jpg

Fox 5.0

Established Member
I can't check now but I wonder if there's a spacer plate that goes in between. I can check later since I have the stock intake system.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
I'll try to post some pics of my setup tomorrow. The filter goes right to the MAF with a little adapter.

theDRIVER

Literally haulin' ass
Established Member
i really appreciate it joe.

i called the local stealership and they sent me a diagram of the "9600" air filter housing and end plate. and it looks a helluva lot different than the one pictured.

i'll add this picture just in case anyone wonders about the parts involved.

9600 diagram.jpg

Attachments

• 9600 air filter housing set.png
    9600 air filter housing set.png
    48 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:

jmsa540

Established Member
I def. believe there is a spacer that you're missing. Looking around on ebay to see if you can find a stock airbox. I sold mine last year.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
20140814_145339_zpse8c30044.jpg

20140814_145459_zps0fa912d7.jpg

20140814_145913_zps5b23e82f.jpg

Hopefully this helps. I'm still at my car if you reply sometime soon and need other pics.

Last edited:

MysticChaos

Established Member
That plastic tab should be at the top too fyi, it's the guide for the other half of the airbox. It also looks like you might be missing a rubber gasket in there, mine has one thats a couple millimeters thick.

Last edited:

theDRIVER

Literally haulin' ass
Established Member
everywhere i've looked, all my manuals and the threads on this forum, i couldn't find what that darn thing looked like. DVJ38, MysticChaos, and Fox 5.0 thank you for the info and pictures. much appreciated.

it seems that there's a gasket that's missing then. MysticChaos and Fox 5.0 is that gasket all rubber? thick or thin?

Fox 5.0

Established Member
It looks to be plastic but with a rubber o-ring right where it meets the MAF housing. I've never take apart the snorkle part of the intake system before though so thats just from looking at it.

Users who are viewing this thread