Air Compressor

jimmydigital00

Established Member
I am going to get a air compressor for the garage but wasnt sure what size (capacity) and what power (HP) was recommended for automotive use.
Do any of you guys have a suggestion?

Thanks

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
It really depends on if you're going to use air tools, or a paint gun. Things like that require quite a few CFM, to keep from running out of air during the cycles.

The one I had at my old house in the country was a 20 gallon, 220V. Don't remember the CFM, but it handled air tools & a paint gun.

Kind of funny how I came across it ... this guy delivered a used farm tractor that I had bought from him, and when we unloaded it, one of the friggin' tires was flat. I told him I'd take care of it, and when he left, I jumped in the truck and drove to Sears and bought the compressor for around $400 - $500.

My wife had just left on a vacation with her sister to New England, so I figured I could hide it long enough, and then gradually bring it out in the open. Worked out perfectly!:-D

jimmydigital00

Established Member
LOL
I hear ya. I gotta try to hide it from the wife as well. It is hard to explain to a woman why a air compressor is a household necessity.
I just ordered a 27 gallon 2hp which I think does around 7 cfms.
Im not going to be doing any sanding or painting, mainly just air gun and ratchet.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
One flat tire in the driveway, when you're in a hurry is good justification for having a compressor.

bvysochin

Established Member
We bought a 60 gallon 7hp craftsman professional one.. It uses twin automotive style pistons, and delivers like almost 13 SCFM. There's nothing this thing can't run.. We wanted to paint a car, and figured if we were going to get a compressor.. why not get one that we could use in the future for other things? Seemed like a good investment.. I think we paid right around $400-500 as Sears was having a sale.

One thing I do remember from shopping for compressors is lubed vs non lubed.. I tried to read a lot about them before we purchased ours, and the general concensus was the lubed versions last at least 2X as long. That, and they are quieter. Just fyi.

Last edited:

jimmydigital00

Established Member
Thanks for all the tips.
I would love to buy the big guy with all the power, but gotta stay on a budget and probably wont be using it all that much. Just the occasional Cobra mod.

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
That's exactly like the one I have, Barry. I got it last year to service the tires on our RV, prior to leaving on trips. Of course, it came in handy when I picked up a nail at the pool hall one night and limped back to the house. Next morning, I filled it with air and headed for Discount Tires.

You're right, it's loud as hell.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Dano said:
You're right, it's loud as hell.

Scares me sometimes when it kicks on and I don't expect it/ lol

But it does a good job, I run Impact, Air ratchet, DA sander, paint gun, die grinder and nail guns.

It tends to run a lot with the sander and die grinder but it gets the job done.
Mines going on 5yrs old now.

jimmydigital00

Established Member
What is a good strength for a impact gun?
For your daily auto modifications, Tires, exhaust, springs.
I think my compressor comes with one but its only 350lbs at 90psi

Toasty

Established Member
jimmydigital00 said:
LOL
I hear ya. I gotta try to hide it from the wife as well. It is hard to explain to a woman why a air compressor is a household necessity.
I just ordered a 27 gallon 2hp which I think does around 7 cfms.
Im not going to be doing any sanding or painting, mainly just air gun and ratchet.

how many cfms at 90 or 100 psi is the key. If you want to run an impact, orbital sander, die grinder, board sander, etc etc, you will need lots of cfm at 90-100 PSI.

NXGHOST

Established Member
If you are going to buy one dont skimp out. Buy the best compressor you can afford, it is a tool you will have many many years and had mny uses. Dont be fooled by HP and CFM ratings, most chain stores (Sears, Home depot etc) use Peak HP and CFM ratings at stupid PSI's. Craftsman makes decent compressors for the price though. Get at least a 40 gallon tank (60 prefered) if you want to use air tools.

Here is my monster! LOL (I do sandblasting)

compress.jpg

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
+ ... yeah, like most things, tools, car parts, etc., get the best you can afford. If you buy crap now, you'll probably regret it just when you need it the most.

SVT-98-

3 Stangs & an Olds
Established Member
I cheaped out, and bought a cheap direct drive unit, and totaly regret it. Im sure all my neighbors hate me when I use it also.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread